Grounded in history

Photo by Shelby Knowles
Happy Birthday, MSC.

Memorial Student Center
A memorial to fallen Aggies and the living room of campus, Texas A&M’s Memorial Student Center holds a special place in the past, present and future of the student body. The building opened its doors on Aggie Muster Day in 1951, dedicated to the Aggies who lost their lives in World War II. The building was rededicated in 1976, expanding to include Aggies who died in all wars – past, present and future. Due to the MSC’s status as a “living memorial” to these students, all are asked to remove their hats when entering and to avoid stepping on the grass outside.
The original structure contained a number of features current students would recognize, including ballrooms, piano practice rooms and the iconic Flag Room. However, the building as students know it today would not exist without significant renovations. After closing for construction in 2009, the MSC officially reopened on Muster Day in 2012. Portions of the old MSC were repurposed or reincorporated in the new design, preserving much of the building’s original look and feel. One feature that didn’t make the cut, however, was the MSC bowling alley.