Texas A&M infielder Rylen Wiggins (2) reacts during Texas A&M’s game against Texas at the Austin Super Regional at Red and Charline McCombs Field in Austin, Texas, on Sunday, May 26, 2024. (CJ Smith/The Battalion)
Aggies’ season ends with heartbreaking loss to Longhorns

Sharper play in the sixth innings of Texas A&M softball’s NCAA Super Regional series with No. 1 Texas may have been the difference between...

Group holds fair to raise Israeli support

Allison Bradshaw
Aggies Students Supporting Israel

Aggie Students Supporting Israel, or ASSI, held its first “Israel Fair” in Rudder Plaza to spread its name and message.

Dan Rosenfield, communication sophomore and president, said the officers planned the fair to coincide with Israel Independence Day.

As the first Israeli outreach organization at Texas A&M, Rosenfield said the group was created after he saw a need for such a group on the A&M campus. 

“Almost every other major school in the nation has an Israel advocacy group,” he said. “A lot of students want to learn more about Israel. We’re trying to take that interest and that hunger for knowledge and put that into action.”

The Israel Fair led students through a series of stations — ranging from offering traditional Israeli falafel to educating visitors about Israel’s Wailing Wall and dedication to protecting Jews.

One student who stopped by the Israel Fair was Brook Holt, junior international studies major.

“I’m an international studies major, so I just want to kind of open up my ideas about the world and have a more global perspective,” Holt said. “I think it’s important to understand what’s going on in the rest of the world instead of just focusing on your area.” 

Rosenfield said his he inspiration for creating ASSI and for having the Israel Fair is routed in his Jewish faith. 

“Israel is my homeland,” Rosenfield said. “I have a deep, deep connection with Israel and will for the rest of my life.”

Political science senior Erica Lefaive said she was also drawn to ASSI due to her religious beliefs, and has loved being a part of the group. 

Stationed at the political table, Lefaive and fellow ASSI members passed out pamphlets regarding current negotiations with Iran. Lefaive said they want to also help make students aware of their presence at A&M.

“Today, we just hope to gain awareness that we are here on campus and we’re trying to raise awareness and spread the truth in a peaceful way,” Lefaive said. 

• Aggies Students Supporting Israel

Allison Bradshaw
  • Aggies Students Supporting Israel

Allison Bradshaw
  • Aggies Students Supporting Israel

Allison Bradshaw