Incoming journalism professors Mariano Castillo and Flora Charner sit with former student and Battalion staff member Ken Sury at the FJSA Hall of Fame reception ceremony held in the J. Wayne Stark Galleries in the Memorial Student Center on Friday, April 19, 2024. (Hannah Harrison/The Battalion)
A&M welcomes new journalism professors from CNN, Dallas Morning News
Ana Renfroe and Stacy Cox April 19, 2024

At a ceremony honoring Aggie journalists, Texas A&M announced it will welcome three new journalism professors in the fall. New hires will...

Sophomore DB Jacoby Mattews (2) and sophomore DB Sam McCall (16) attempt to stop LSU WR Malik Nabers during Texas A&Ms game against LSU on Saturday, Nov. 25, 2023 at Tiger Stadium (Katelynn Ivy/The Battalion)
2024 NFL Draft: Ranking every first round-graded pass catcher
Mathias Cubillan, Sports Writer • April 22, 2024

As NFL defenses have found ways to stifle scoring opportunities and keep the lid on big plays, a bigger burden falls on the pass catchers for...

Members of the 2023-2024 Aggie Muster Committee pose outside the Jack K. Williams Administration Building. (Photo courtesy of Aggie Muster Committee)
Orchestrating a century-old tradition
Sydnei Miles, Head Life & Arts Editor • April 18, 2024

As Muster approaches, the Aggie Muster Committee works to organize a now century-old tradition. These students “coordinate every facet” of...

Texas A&M professor Dr. Christina Belanger teaches her Geology 314 class on Wednesday, April 3, 2024, in the Halbouty Geosciences Building. (CJ Smith/The Battalion)
Opinion: Stop beating the dead [virtual] horse
Eddie Phillips, Opinion Writer • April 22, 2024

Snow days were my favorite days of grade school. I would wake up extra early to stand in my living room to peer through the glass toward the...

GSC supports FCIC March for Diversity

The Texas A&M Graduate Student Council (GSC) said at its meeting Tuesday that it would support Wednesday’s diversity march.
The Rally and March for Diversity is being held by the Faculty Committed to an Inclusive Campus (FCIC) to promote diversity on campus.
The Student Government Association (SGA) withdrew its support for the rally based on opposition to the FCIC’s stance on methods of obtaining diversity.
Josh Peschel, GSC president and a graduate student in biological and agricultural engineering, said the GSC is respectful of the SGA’s decision, but desires to maintain support for the spirit of diversity that is being encouraged by the march.
“By passing the resolution, the GSC has officially voiced its support for the spirit of the march as a body,” Peschel said.
Matt Wilkins, a legislative affairs chair and a graduate student in aerospace engineering, said GSC was formed to better represent A&M’s graduate students in student affairs, so diversity is an important issue.
“The diversity in this body is very pronounced with people from different countries, different parts of the country and with lots of different perspectives,” he said.
The diversity march will be held Wednesday from 2 to 5 p.m. at Rudder Fountain Plaza. James Anderson, vice president for diversity, will speak at 3 p.m., and the march will begin at 3:15 p.m.
“It is important for students to understand and support the idea of diversification and to get faculty and students to understand the importance of diversity,” said Eberhard Laepple, GSC vice president and a doctoral students in architecture. “People have biases because they aren’t informed, and information helps people make good decisions.”
Topics of discussion at the GSC meeting also included the lack of opportunities for graduate students to get involved in extracurricular activities and receive scholarships and awards.
The meeting ended with the appointment of a subcommittee to look into possibilities for awards and scholarships for graduate students.