Health professionals to present research at Distinguished Lecture Series

The Distinguished Lecture Series invites speakers in the fields of kinesiology, health, physical activity and sports management to A&M.

Since 2010, the Department of Health and Kinesiology has hosted the Distinguished Lecture Series, inviting leaders in the fields of health education, kinesiology, sports management and physical activity to present their research to faculty, students and the community.

This year the DLS, titled “Health, Kinesiology, and Sport Management of Tomorrow: Directions, Innovation and Opportunities,” will be held at Rudder Theater on Wednesday and Thursday. Speakers include Michael Delp from Florida State University and Gareth Stratton from Swansea University in the United Kingdom. The DLS lectures are free of charge.

According to Dell Billings, the administrative coordinator for the Department of Health and Kinesiology, events like this make learning more accessible to students and faculty.

“The DLS is basically a way to bring in top scholars in the field of health education, kinesiology, PE and sport management to campus,” Billings said. “It’s a way to give our students an opportunity to have a conference come to them rather than them going to one.”

Kinesiology junior Natalya Haveliwala believes the DLS shows progress in the health field that can give current students choices for future professions.

“The lecture series provides an opportunity for kinesiology majors to get to know and understand recent research studies,” Haveliwala said.  “It also keeps them informed on what is going on in the field they are trying to pursue and can guide them in the right direction of what they want to do.”

One of the reasons the DLS attracts students and faculty from all majors is due to the range of topics covered.  This year’s presentations include physical education, nutrition and sports management, among other topics.

Public health freshman Ana Mathew said the series will show the latest research regarding her own interests in the health field.  

“As a public health major, this event is a great opportunity to gain a glance at all the latest research,” Mathew said. “I am especially looking forward to David Allison’s talk because it ties together the importance of exercise and nutrition on obesity rates.”

Billings said the prominence of health and physical education in our daily lives makes the DLS an important event, not only professionally but also personally.

“Everyone is worried about their health and the health of their kids and even older adults,” Billings said. “The goal is for everyone to come out here and learn something that will help them in their own personal lives.”