Health Science Center to open family practitioner program

The spring semester will mark a new venture for Texas A&M’s Health Science Center — opening a Family Nurse Practitioner program for a Master of Science in Nursing.
The FNP program, which was officially approved mid-semester, welcomed 20 students for the spring and will accept 20 more in spring 2016. The program will prepare registered nurses through advanced education and training to advance their scope of practice and to provide primary care to individuals, families and communities.
Holly Shive, public relations manager for the College of Nursing, said this program will prepare students to work with an array of illnesses.
“As an advance practice nurse, graduates of the FNP program will be prepared to perform advanced health assessment, diagnose and treat common chronic and acute healthcare problems and promote health and wellness through disease prevention and health promotion,” Shive said.
Shive said the program will combine online content with hands-on interaction.
“Students enrolled in the FNP program will complete didactic content online and participate in clinical experiences with qualified preceptors in communities where the students reside,” Shive said. “Students will have the opportunity to take interdisciplinary courses and interact with faculty and students from other health care professions.”
Shive said students in the FNP program will also be able to make use of Texas A&M’s innovative simulation center.
“FNP students will engage in simulation experiences in the state of the art simulation center at Texas A&M Health Science Center’s Clinical Learning Resource Center,” Shive said. “Upon graduation, FNP graduates will increase access to high quality, cost effective and patient centered care for the people of Texas.”
Kara Jones-Schubart, clinical assistant professor in the College of Nursing, said she welcomes the program.
“I am thrilled to be a part of the College of Nursing’s new advanced practice program,” Jones-Schubart said. “I know our students will have a positive impact on the healthcare system.”