Honoring the Bush legacy

Bush
Bush

Politicians are looking to memorialize the impact of late President George H.W. Bush and Barbara Bush with special edition coins.
The President George H.W. Bush and Barbara Bush Dollar Coin Act would require $1 coins issued during 2019 to honor George H.W. Bush, and bullion coins from 2019 would be made in honor of Barbara Bush. The bill was introduced to the House of Representatives in December and was referred to the House Committee on Financial Services.
Backed by Republican senator Susan Collins of Maine, independent senator Angus King of Maine and GOP senators Ted Cruz, John Cornyn of Texas and Rob Portman of Ohio, the bill is meant to celebrate the Bush’s impact in U.S. history.
“Senators Cruz and Cornyn introduced this bill to honor President George H.W. Bush and First Lady Barbara Bush, who gave our nation, two lifetimes of public service, philanthropy and a deep sense of patriotism,” a Cruz spokesman said. “The last members of the Greatest Generation to call the White House home, George and Barbara exemplified that greatness in their public lives, their devotion to family and the deep affection they earned in the hearts of Texans and all their fellow Americans.”
Director of marketing and communications for the George Bush Presidential Library and Museum David Anaya said the coin would help honor the former president and keep his memory alive among the American public.
“We had a lot of correspondence that came to us that was very positive about President Bush, not only stories, but people who didn’t know much about him who learned about him during his passing,” Anaya said. “With the funeral proceedings on national TV, a lot of people renewed their interest in President Bush and his life and his legacy and his service to our nation. And I think with these coins out there, people will be able to see them and feel them and feel a part of that.”
Warren Finch, director of the George Bush Presidential Library and Museum, said it is important for Bush to be remembered in this way.
“It’s a great way to honor George Bush, to put out a coin with his likeness on it,” Finch said. “He’s the last of the World War II generation who was president of the United States and I think it’s a great honor.”
Anaya said the coin symbolizes what the president did to shape many American lives and that people want his influence and legacy to be remembered, even through something as simple as a coin.
“President Bush and Barbara meant so much to our nation for so long, and I think this is just one way that some people in our federal government just want to honor them and thank them for their life of public service and sacrifice,” Anaya said. “The presidential library, even though President Bush has passed, will continue to promote his life and legacy the best we can as we’ve done in the past.”