Hundreds trek across Bryan for Freedom March

Allison Bradshaw — The Battalion

Community members commemorated the life and legacy of Martin Luther King, Jr. with a march from Sadie Thomas Memorial Park to Kemp Elementary School.
More than 500 attended the 19th Annual Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Freedom March on Monday morning, hosted by the Delta Sigma Theta Sorority, Inc. Brazos Valley Area Alumnae Chapter.
Danny Ray Perkins Jr., construction science senior, participated in the march for the first time. He said he hopes even more people will participate next year for the common goal of equality.
“Not just African Americans — you know whites, blacks, Hispanics, Asians — because Dr. Martin Luther King fought for the equality for all of us, not just black people,” Perkins said. “So I really would love to see more people come out and more people walk for a common goal and that’s equality for all.”
Perkins said he was attracted by the community aspect of the march, as people from across Bryan-College Station attended.
“I really enjoyed actually the walking part where we were walking down Martin Luther King Street — just the sense of community,” Perkins said. “It was an awesome experience for me. I really enjoyed that the most — just interacting with people in the community and whatnot all toward a common goal.”
Megan Henderson, biomedical engineer and Spanish junior, is the treasurer of the Omicron Omega Chapter of Delta Sigma Theta Sorority. She said the march is meant to emphasize similarities rather than differences.
“We have a lot more in common than the differences we all focus on and I think that was one of the messages Dr. King spoke on,” Henderson said. “And that’s what our alumnae chapter is trying to bring back with its march they host every year.”
Reuben May, speaker at the march and sociology professor, said he encouraged the audience to “upgrade the dream” and “think like a boss.”
“We need you to be better people to make a better place for all of us,” May said.
May further said the opportunities people have today should be recognized and honored.
“How important it is to respect all the sacrifices of people like Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.,” May said. “Lots of people have died for the opportunity for us to take advantage of.”