Impact Retreat hopes to engage freshmen

Impact Retreat, a welcoming camp for incoming A&M and Blinn freshman, will take off for Latham Springs Camp in Aquila, Texas on Monday.
Over the course of three sessions, for four days and three nights, students will participate in a variety of activities including discussion or “basic” groups, dance parties and listening to speakers .
“We’re offering them an opportunity to connect with students in a way you would in any other welcome retreat,” said Mark Silverthorn, a 2014 Impact co-director. “What we want to see happen is that people would come to a knowledge and faith in Jesus Christ.”
Silverthorn said freshmen would have the opportunity to make lasting friendships, establish mentorships with upperclassmen counselors and learn how they could engage their faith in a new college environment.
“It’s been a long year and a lot of preparation and work has gone into Impact,” Silverthorn said. “What gets us excited is that we can offer an opportunity for young people to find a welcoming environment, where they’re going feel valued and connected.”
Samantha Rupley, senior English major and impact counselor said she thought it was imperative to keep the focus on students.
“For me as a BG leader and counselor, I’m looking forward to getting to see them experiencing Christ and what it looks like for someone to serve them.”
During the camp, opportunities will arise for students to learn more about churches in the Bryan-College Station area and Christian ministries on campus so that students can find places to grow and serve, Silverthorn said.
Rupley said Impact reinforces the importance of service, love and compassion for others. She said she is looking forward to “playing a role” in students’ “stories.”
“Whether that’s making friends with [students] or talking to them about something, or just having fun and being there for whatever they need,” Rupley said.