Impacts others’ lives

George “Robert” Long III, freshman animal science major, died Dec. 13, 2011. Friends and family remember Robert as selfless and passionate — a true embodiment of the Aggie Spirit.
Robert gave time to the homeless, to children in his community and to anyone with whom he came in contact.
“He was always good with kids and would stop and take time to hang out and be a friend to them,” Robert’s mother, Sharon Long, said of her son. “We received several cards from younger kids saying how much Robert meant to them. Robert was an extremely caring person — kind and nice to everyone.”
Lisa Harris, a family friend of the Longs, said Robert was as close to perfect as you could get. He was God-fearing, loyal and caring.
“Robert and all of his friends used to hang out at our house frequently,” Harris said. “I’ll never forget the night before they started their senior year — he came over with a Diet Coke and a pack of Gobstoppers and said, ‘Mama Harris, I know this is going to be a hard week for you, so I brought you something to help you get through it.'”
Robert’s radiant smile matched his caring personality.
“He was always happy and smiling; that was the best part about him — his smile,” said freshman animal science major Christine Cobb. “It was definitely contagious. If you were having a bad day, he would truly make it better.”
Robert was actively involved in athletics in his hometown of Crandall, Texas, where he enjoyed football, baseball and basketball during high school. He was also active with his church.
“He went on a mission trip to New Mexico and helped out with a homeless ministry in Dallas,” Sharon said. “He never complained about helping others, whether it was giving a homeless person his socks, or a child his Bible, he did it cheerfully.”
Back in his hometown, Robert made a big impact. The Trinity Valley Sports Association will present $1,000 scholarships to a boy and girl every year in Kaufman County in Robert’s memory.
“The reason the TVSA wanted to do this was because Robert was a great example to everyone in Kaufman County,” Sharon said.
Sharon said Robert exemplified the core values of Texas A&M, and brought an enthusiasm for his school home.
“He loved A&M. We had this old longhorn magnet, and every time he would come home from school, he would turn it upside down,” Sharon said.