Indonesian Fest brings culture to campus

Photo by Photo by: Ethan Dias

Performers at the event showcased traditional dances from Bali and Java.

Rudder Plaza was filled with the tastes, sounds and sights of southeast Asia Saturday as the Indonesian Student Association hosted the Indonesian Festival.
The festival gave attendees the opportunity to play an “angklung,” an Indonesian instrument made of bamboo. ISA President and graduate student Alfino Lubis said these angklungs were borrowed from the Indonesian consulate in Houston. 
Food was an additional attraction in the festival. The peanut chicken satay was the most popular, causing a long line to form in the plaza.
Representatives from the consulate in Houston performed traditional dances from the islands of Bali and Java.
George Jewell, a university staff member, attended the festival and said he enjoyed the change of pace.
“Some of the art here is very unique,” Jewell says. “Don’t be afraid to step outside of your comfort zone. This is my first time eating Indonesian food, and I liked it.”
The event was initially scheduled for last Saturday but was canceled due to last-minute liability issues from the university, according to a campus-wide email. Lubis said the rescheduling didn’t affect the attendance too much. 
“I think we could have had a better turnout last week since Kyle Field Day and Layne’s Challenge were going to be happening next to the event,” Lubis said. “That way, more people would have attended, but the sunny day today helped.