Texas A&M pitcher Ryan Prager (18) dlivers a pitch during Texas A&M’s game against Kentucky at the NCAA Men’s College World Series at in Omaha, Nebraska on Monday, June 17, 2024. Prager went for 6.2 innings, allowing two hits and zero runs. (Chris Swann/The Battalion)

Information for voters

Texans will head to the polls Tuesday to vote on seven proposed propositions. Here’s a brief outline of each as described by Alicia Pierce, director of communications for the Office of the State Secretary. Full description, as well as the language of the propositions will be in on the ballot, can be viewed at texasvotes.gov.
Proposition 1: SJR 1
“Proposition 1 has to do with property taxes. It would increase the homestead exemption, which basically means that when people own their home, they would be taxed less on the amount their property is valued at, the total dollar value.”
Proposition 2: HJR 75
“Proposition 2 has to do with extending an exemption for property taxes to the surviving spouse of disabled veterans. What this does is it helps to grandfather in the people who didn’t get the exemption the first time around when it was first put into place in 2011. It allowed people who filled in this category before that time to also get this exemption for property taxes.”
Proposition 3: SJR 52
 “Proposition 3 changes the requirement for statewide elected officials to live in Austin, so people like your [agricultural] commissioner or your railroad commissioner would no longer be required to live in Austin when they hold that public office.”
Proposition 4: HJR 73
“Proposition 4 is very specific. It has to do with professional sports teams being able to have raffles for their charitable foundations. So it’s a way that they can raise money and funds specifically only for those charitable organizations — it’s pretty narrowly defined.”
Proposition 5: SJR 17
“Proposition 5 would allow counties of 7,500 or less to perform private roadwork and construction. Right now counties that have 5,000 or less can do that, so extending this would allow other counties that have a slightly higher population to be able to do that as well.”
Proposition 6: SJR 22
“Proposition 6 is about enshrining in the state constitution the rights for hunting, fishing and to harvest wildlife, but, of course, subject to wildlife conservation laws and regulations.”
Proposition 7: SJR 5
“Proposition 7 has to do with how we fund transportation. It would dedicate certain taxes to transportation funding and help make sure that Texans have a stream of funds that would be dedicated to transportation projects.”