Texas A&M pitcher Ryan Prager (18) dlivers a pitch during Texas A&M’s game against Kentucky at the NCAA Men’s College World Series at in Omaha, Nebraska on Monday, June 17, 2024. Prager went for 6.2 innings, allowing two hits and zero runs. (Chris Swann/The Battalion)

Inspirational 9 year old honored by Aggie soccer team succumbs to cancer

Photo by Courtesy

Quinn Pesicka with the game ball during the game played in her honor during this last fall semester 

Quinn Pesicka, the nine-year-old girl honored at a Texas A&M soccer game last fall, died Saturday after a life long battle with cancer.

Pesicka was diagnosed with Adrenal Cortical Carcinoma at six months old, a form of cancer that affects the adrenal glands around the kidneys. Although the cancer went into remission for about four years, it returned last year, prompting the Texas A&M women’s soccer team to support Quinn and her family.

Karlie Mueller, health senior and A&M soccer player, met Quinn’s mother, Katie Pesicka, her freshman year of high school — Pesicka was Mueller’s algebra teacher. The two became close after Mueller’s grandfather was diagnosed with cancer her sophomore year.

After Quinn’s cancer returned, Mueller began writing ‘Play for Quinn’ on her arm during games for inspiration, and the Aggies’ soccer SEC opener against Tennessee in September served as a fundraiser to support Quinn’s family and to raise awareness for juvenile cancer.

“We wanted to do what we could to be supportive of Karlie and completely supportive of Quinn, the fight that she’s going through, and her family,” A&M soccer coach G. Guerrieri said. “It was something that I think helped our players to live outside of their lives as soccer players and really get to know a great family and really support a great cause.”

Texas A&M soccer posted on their Facebook page Monday that Quinn was a source of inspiration to the entire soccer program.

“She will be remembered in Aggieland, and across the nation, for her bravery, strength and enthusiasm for life. Quinn embodied the spirit of the #12thMan and we will continue to play for her every day,” the post said.

Guerrieri said that the university and surrounding community had been fantastic in supporting the family.

“Aggieland has been fantastic in their support of them and unfortunately now they’re united in the grieving process,” Guerrieri said.
Born July 11, 2005 to David and Kate Pesicka, Quinn had been a student at JFK Elementary and had just completed the fourth grade at R.F. Pettigrew Elementary. Her funeral service will be 11:00 a.m. Thursday, June 25, at Peace Lutheran Church.

• Quinn along with the Aggie Soccer team took a group photo before the game played in her honor during the last fall semester 

Photo by Courtesy