J-Court ruling reverses Tsau’s disqualification

Vanessa Peña — THE BATTALION Emma Douglas consults a member of her team.

A Judicial Court ruling Tuesday lifted student body president candidate Isaiah Tsau’s disqualification from holding office.
Tsau, who only garnered the third largest number of votes in the Spring 2015 election, was disqualified by the Election Commission for exceeding his campaign limit by $111. According to the case summary, Election Commissioner Emma Douglas fined Tsau over $200 after a campaign slogan written on the chalkboard in the Evans Library Annex surfaced on social media.
The summary claims that the election commissioner falsely assumed the campaign slogan was written by a supporter of Tsau and that the slogan was written in a classroom, an area designated as off limits for campaigning by the Election Regulations.
Both parties agreed that the fine was a miscommunication.
“Though the defendant cannot be faulted from a misunderstanding, the plaintiff proceeded correctly in filing an appeal with the judicial court,” reads the summary.
The ruling does not affect the final outcome of the Spring 2015 student body president election.