Neil Jhurani, Sports Writer • May 23, 2024

A warm, summer evening bestowed Hoover, Alabama on Wednesday night when the No. 4 Texas A&M Aggies faced the No. 15 Mississippi State Bulldogs...

Jacks, Aggies to meet in midweek series

The previous time Texas A&M played Stephen F. Austin, the Aggies needed a ninth inning RBI to beat the Lumberjacks 5-4.
Today, No. 7 A&M (7-2) will start a two-game series against Stephen F. Austin at Olsen Field.
The Aggies are 16-0 against the Lumberjacks all-time. Including the 5-4 win on April 2, 2008, the two teams also met April 1, with A&M winning 8-1. The series marks the sixth time the teams have met for a two-game series.
A&M struggled in its previous two-game mid-week series this season, going 1-1 against Centenary. The Aggies won 11-1 the first game, but lost 8-4 in the second game.
“I expect us to go play Aggie baseball for 18 innings,” said A&M Head Coach Rob Childress. “What [Stephen F. Austin] brings in there I don’t know or care.”
The Lumberjacks are 3-4 in 2009. This past week they played in the Texas-Pan American tournament, earning wins against Texas-Arlington and Texas-Pan American, but losing to Illinois 4-2.
On Feb. 24, Stephen F. Austin lost to Houston 7-5, a team A&M beat 5-3 on Sunday at the Houston College Classic at Minute Maid Park.
The Aggies’ win against Houston capped a 2-1 tournament at the Classic. Friday A&M beat UC-Irvine 9-2, and Saturday the Aggies lost 2-0 to rival Rice. Rice pitcher Ryan Berry threw a complete game two-hit shutout and was named Most Outstanding Player of the tournament.
A&M is the last pre-conference team on the Lumberjacks’ schedule. They start Southland conference play on Friday against Central Arkansas.
Senior first baseman Sean Meyers leads Stephen F. Austin with a .464 batting average and a .516 on base percentage. He also leads the team with eight RBIs.
The Lumberjacks will throw junior Ryan Priest on Tuesday and sophomore Jared West on Wednesday. Priest transferred to Stephen F. Austin from Alvin Community College before the season. West will be making his second career start.
The Lumberjacks are playing for first-year Head Coach Johnny Cardenas. An Amarillo, Texas, native, Cardenas was an assistant at Stephen F. Austin for three years before being promoted.
Sophomore third baseman Caleb Shofner leads the Aggies in batting average, slugging percentage and on base percentage. He has been hit by pitch eight times and is on pace to be hit at least 49 times in the regular season, 28 more than senior first baseman Luke Anders’ count of 21 in 2008.
Junior Clayton Ehlert will start the first game and freshman Ross Hales will start the second game.