Texas A&M infielder Rylen Wiggins (2) makes a catch during Texas A&M’s game against UAlbany at the first round of the NCAA Women’s College World Series at Davis Diamond on Friday, May 18, 2024. (Hannah Harrison/The Battalion)
A&M wins second regional game 1-0 against Texas State
Kolton Becker, Sports Writer • May 18, 2024

Saturday, May 18 was the second time this year that Texas A&M softball met Texas State. The previous matchup between the two squads occurred...

Jim Gaffigan’s newest release maintains trademark style

Few comics have truly mastered one of comedy’s most powerful tools: the ability to make fun of oneself.
Self-deprecating comedy is a delicate art that, if taken too far, can be one of the least enjoyable. Jim Gaffigan, however, has mastered this fragile method of inducing chuckles.
Gaffigan has been acting in films and television shows since 1999, with a minor role in “Three Kings.” Since then, he has made several appearances in major motion pictures like, “13 Going on 30,” and, “Super Troopers,” though none feature him in a starring role. Gaffigan has also been featured on the sitcom “My Boys,” in addition to other television appearances. What he is known for, however, is his unique brand of stand-up comedy.
Gaffigan became widely known with the release of “Beyond the Pale” in 2006. Unknown at the time of its release, the album was the sixth from Gaffigan.
“Beyond the Pale” also marked Gaffigan’s first Comedy Central Special. Anyone familiar with Gaffigan’s mantra remembers this particular release as having an expanded version of his infamous “Hot Pocket” routine.
The routine featured jokes and one-liners about mundane things surrounding food and American eating habits. With “Beyond the Pale,” Gaffigan proved he can make a joke out of anything, no matter how unexciting.
Gaffigan’s signature motif is a collection of high-pitched asides inserted into his mantra at key moments from a hypothetical audience member. By giving voice to this audience member’s thoughts, Gaffigan is able to criticize himself and get “two-for-one” laughs. Gaffigan is notorious for being unafraid to poke fun at his pale and somewhat unwholesome appearance.
“King Baby,” released on CD and DVD March 31, marks Gaffigan’s second major DVD release. His Comedy Central Special with the same title aired March 29. Featuring some classic Jim Gaffigan motifs, the pale-faced comic jumps off into his routine the exact same way he began “Beyond the Pale.”
As the crowd cheers, Gaffigan imitates their adulations and immediately opens with a series of his signature asides, poking fun at his appearance and making reference to his previous material. From there, Gaffigan takes a big risk and explores subjects he touched on in “Beyond the Pale.”
His diatribe essentially rehashes all of his previous material regarding food and American laziness, while adding only a handful of completely new sections. Surprisingly, Gaffigan finds new and hysterical one-liners to be mined from subjects he has already harvested.
Gaffigan’s obsession with bacon makes for some of his best material to date, as does his lampooning of camping and Waffle Houses. His devices have not changed at all; his high-pitched voices and subtle expressions are as present as ever before.
After all, what makes his comedy so enjoyable is his static personality. If he were to suddenly alter his style dramatically, he would lose what makes him so funny in the first place.
“King Baby” essentially picks up right where “Beyond the Pale” left off. But if you found yourself wanting more Gaffigan after that album, “King Baby” is exactly what you have been waiting for.