Kevin Hart: ‘This is my audience’

Photo By: Taner Garza
Kevin Hart performs Sunday at Rudder Auditorium.
Photo By: Taner Garza Kevin Hart performs Sunday at Rudder Auditorium.

Cinemark hosted a screening Sunday of Kevin Hart’s new movie, “The Wedding Ringer,” prior to the actor-comedian’s evening show in Rudder Auditorium. Fans began lining up at 9 a.m. for the 2 p.m. screening. Screaming fans greeted Hart as he stepped out of his car. Hart signed some autographs and took selfies with fans. Before entering the theater, The Battalion news reporter Eva Gilpin spoke with Hart about his movie, which is set for a January 2015 release, and his visit to College Station.
THE BATTALION: So, why College Station?
HART: This is my audience, you know. When you look at this generation, you’re looking at the people that support me — you’re looking at my demographic. You’ve got to find ways to reach your demographic that are unique, that other people aren’t doing. You’ve got to find ways to show your demographic. I’m different, I care, I appreciate you guys, let me touch you guys, let me be hand-in-hand where I come out where you don’t expect me to come out. You’ve never heard of a movie premiering in College Station, you’ve never heard of screening out in this area, ever. It doesn’t happen. So the fact that I’m doing that is my way of saying this is my style of promoting, this is what I want to do from shows to pop-ups to being at appearances, it’s just different, you know?
THE BATTALION: What was your absolute favorite part about filming this movie?
HART: Absolute favorite part about this particular movie? I can honestly say, working with the groomsmen, because all of that stuff was a surprise. All of those guys, they had no lines, it was very small beats, but these guys, you know, made a mountain out of a molehill, they literally came in and took every opportunity to jump and be great in the small moments that they had and those parts grew. Watching those guys improv and really, really step up to the plate, that was gold.