Kiss and tell

Students of Texas A&M: Beware! Before going on a late-night jog around campus, students should be prepared for a few juicy roadblocks; when deciding to pull an all-nighter at the library, students may get another kind of education. While the Century Tree in front of the Academic Building stands as a constant reminder of romance on campus, many couples are seeking out other locations when they want to cuddle.
Academic Aphrodisiac
There might be a proposal there every weekend, but Jennifer Langam, a senior interdisciplinary studies major, said there is more to the romantic atmosphere around the Academic Plaza.
“I think the Academic Plaza is a romantic place, not just because of the Century Tree and proposals,” Langam said. “I think it’s a spot on campus (where) everyone can feel the A&M spirit, and it’s a comfortable place to go with your boyfriend or girlfriend.”
Just hanging out in the afternoons on the plaza can be a comfortable way to spend time with a date, Langam said.
“I personally spent a lot of time there with people I’ve dated just sitting on those benches, looking at the beautiful landscape around there,” Langam said.
Who wrote the books of love?
Whether or not the rumors are true, students say Evans Library has the best reputation on campus for couples looking for secluded spots.
Bob, a senior accounting major who wished not to use his last name, said he’s always heard Evans to be a popular place to hook up.
“You can always get lost in the stacks in Evans,” Bob said.
Patricia Falcone, a senior elementary education major, said she heard the fourth floor was haunted.
“Maybe guys think if they take girls up there, they’ll think it’s scary and want to make out,” Falcone said.
Fountains of kisses
The many fountains located around campus have also become popular spots for couples to go. Amy Spencer, a junior elementary education major, said the fountains are romantic.
“There is an inner courtyard between the MSC and Rudder, and there is a secluded fountain there,” Spencer said. “I always thought that was a romantic spot.”
There is a fine line between spending time with a significant other in a romantic location and turning that time into a romantic encounter itself, Langam said. She said she has seen students take it to extremes.
While Langam was fountain-hopping with her friends, where they went by every fountain on campus to take pictures, Langam said they came upon a surprise in the same secluded fountain in the Memorial Student Center.
“When we got to the MSC garden fountain, there was this couple already in the fountain kissing,” Langam said. “They looked at us and I didn’t know what to say; it was really awkward, so I asked them to take our picture. The guy actually dropped the girl to do it.”
Love is all around
Fountains are not the only places couples are claiming on campus. Many students said they’ve caught couples everywhere around A&M.
A graduate student who wishes to remain anonymous said he has kissed girls all around the University.
“One night I was on the golf course with this girl, and these runners came by and caught us,” the student said. “It was a little embarrassing.”
Langam said a friend from her sophomore year came up with a game about making out on campus.
“She took a map of campus and marked every place she and her friends had kissed someone at,” Langam said. “They would walk around campus asking random guys to kiss them just to mark it off on the map.”
For the more adventurous Aggie
While some romantic spots require no extra effort to get to, some students said they feel the need for a little excitement.
Elizabeth Latham, a senior elementary education major, has heard of a place that is both romantic and off-limits.
“Students sneak onto the 50-yard line on Kyle Field at night to kiss,” Latham said. “I don’t think a lot of people do it, but it seems like a fun challenge.”
Bob has also heard rumors about off-limits places students go late at night.
“I’ve heard people get adventurous and do things in the Student Programs Office in Koldus and the MSC, but I don’t know if anyone’s ever been caught,” Bob said.
Rooftops have also made the list for places students must visit before leaving A&M, Bob said. Some buildings, like the Animal Industries building, have ladders that lead to the roof.
“I hear if you can get to the roof of O&M, that is a nice place,” Bob said. “I personally like the environment around the Bush School, and Research Park is fun. You just have to watch out for the random people out there playing capture the flag.”
Whether intentions are romantic or a little more, students can find anywhere and everywhere to spend time with a loved one, from elevators to parking garages to the open air, Langam said.
“Nice kissing in public is really cute,” Langam said. “But if you are going to be raunchy about it, then please, for the rest of us, keep it at home.”