Items from Lt. Col. David Michael Booth, Class of 1964, on display at the Muster Reflections Display in the Memorial Student Center on Wednesday, April 17, 2024. (Chris Swann/The Battalion)
Muster Reflections Display held ahead of ceremony
Hilani Quinones, Assistant News Editor • April 18, 2024

Until April 21, visitors can view personal memorabilia from fallen Aggies who will be honored at the 2024 Muster Ceremony. The Aggie Muster...

Julia Cottrill (42) celebrating a double during Texas A&Ms game against Southeastern Louisiana on Thursday, Feb. 22, 2024 at Davis Diamond. (Hannah Harrison/The Battalion)
Muffled the Mean Green
Shanielle Veazie, Sports Writer • April 17, 2024

Early pitching woes gave Texas A&M softball all the momentum needed to defeat the University of North Texas, 11-1, in a matchup on Wednesday,...

The Highway 6 Band performs while listeners slow dance at The Corner Bar and Rooftop Grill on Sunday, March 24, 2024. (Chris Swann/The Battalion)
'Life is a Highway' (6 Band)
Amy Leigh Steward, Assistant Life & Arts Editor • April 17, 2024

It starts with a guitar riff. Justin Faldyn plays lead, pulling rock and blues out of the strings.  After a beat, comes the beat of the drums,...

Think your music taste somehow makes you different? Opinion writer Isabella Garcia says being unique is an illusion. (Photo by Kyle Heise/The Battalion)
Opinion: The myth of uniqueness
Isabella Garcia, Opinion Writer • April 16, 2024

You’re basic. It’s thought that the term “basic bitch” originated from a 2009 video of Lil Duval standing on a toilet in front of...

Kuwaiti firefighters find signs of sabotage of oil well blazes

KUWAIT CITY (AP) — Firefighters attacking blazes at oil wells in southern Iraq say they’ve found telltale signs the valuable field was sabotaged. But it appears Iraqi troops may have disobeyed orders to blow up the wells or prepared explosives that were too weak to do serious damage.
It took Kuwaiti firefighters only 15 minutes and two water cannon Monday to snuff out the first fire quenched so far at a booby-trapped Iraqi oil well.
Even though fighting nearby forced some civilian firefighters to clear out of the region Monday, Kuwait’s senior firefighter, Aisa Bouyabes, said he believes his team and others can douse the six remaining blazes in Iraq’s Rumeila South oil field within two weeks.
Upon inspecting damaged well heads at several blast sites just across Kuwait’s border with Iraq, the team discovered a telltale pair of black wires snaking away from each one.
“These are the same wires that were used in Kuwait to blow up our wells — the same method exactly. I’ve seen it before. I inspected the wells in Kuwait immediately after the liberation,” Bouyabes said by telephone from northern Kuwait.
Saddam Hussein’s troops sabotaged more than 700 well heads in Kuwait’s oil fields as they retreated from the emirate in the closing days of the 1991 Gulf War.