Landscape students help redesign Reed greenery

When A&M administration decided Reed Arena needed a facelift, it looked no further than current landscape architecture students.
Fifth-year landscape architecture students competed throughout the semester to design a landscape befitting of Reed Arena.
The winners sought to embody A&M standing as the only Texas team in the SEC. Members said identity and safety were the most important elements they considered while working on the project. Vegetation, hydrology, circulation and activity all worked within the elements to implement connectivity where it was lacking.
“Our team sought to create a sustainable phase plan for the redesign of Reed Arena’s exterior to honor the Spirit of Aggieland and push the University into a new paradigm of environmental responsibility,” said Taylor McNeill, senior landscape architecture major and member of the winning design group. “We wanted to create a space that would be unique to the campus and more importantly, the SEC.”
Taking inspiration from the landscape design of the Clayton W. Williams Alumni Center, members said they looked to make their design an inviting, easily navigable space with vegetation that makes for a beautiful and comfortable view.
“Big events like graduation, Muster and basketball games are held at Reed and people come from all over for these events,” said Nicholas Bryson, senior landscape architecture major and member of the winning design group. “We wanted to be able to create a scene that makes it exciting for people to take pictures outside.”
Director of Athletics Eric Hyman said the decision to incorporate student designs brought energy to the project.
“We had a fantastic time working with the enthusiasm and excitement they showed, and seeing it all unfold in front of you was just amazing,” Hyman said.
Five groups within the class submitted proposals on April 15 and the winners were awarded a $2,000 scholarship Wednesday. Although a winner was picked, Hyman said he plans to take ideas and sentiments from multiple groups.
“We liked part of every presentation and will cherry pick ideas from each group, but the winning team really extenuated and highlighted what is in our region of the country,” Hyman said.
Bryson said the design would be incorporated over a five-year period.