Largest-ever career fair to draw students Wednesday

The largest Liberal Arts Career Fair in Texas A&M history, in terms of company attendance, will take place Wednesday, said Donald Curtis, assistant Liberal Arts dean. The fair will host more than 60 businesses and 120 recruiters.
Curtis said the College of Liberal Arts and the A&M Career Center have been planning this fair since last year’s event.
Attendees to the career fair are advised to wear business attire and to bring at least 10 copies of their resume for their favorite companies. Students are invited to come and try to find an internship or an entry-level job. Students will not be allowed in without a valid student ID card.
The fair will be open to all majors but is especially oriented for liberal arts majors.
Curtis said employers are starting to realize that liberal arts majors are life-long learners and produce a high quality of work, especially students from Texas A&M.
“When you look at a lot of the Fortune 500 companies, their CEOs are often Liberal Arts graduates,” Curtis said. “I think there is a growing recognition that there is nothing like the classical liberal arts educational model to ensure that the person [a company] hires has no ceiling in terms of their ability to be a lifelong learner, a leader, and someone who possesses a broad-based education, an entrepreneurial spirit, and the ability to think critically.”
Sophomore psychology major Lisa Cordero said she is attending the career fair because of the great summer opportunities it could offer her and fellow A&M students.
“I want to go to the career fair to seek out early internship opportunities with larger companies,” Cordero said. “I’m hoping that interning with companies from the career fair will lead to better job opportunities for the future.”
The fair will take place from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. in Rudder Exhibit Hall.