Leading Ladies of Aggieland

Seniors Rose Marshall, Taylor Welch and Megan Rodriguez and sophomore Mia Miller join Reveille IX in top leadership positions on campus. 

Embodying the core values of Texas A&M, five women are ready to lead their campus and work for a greater cause in the following school year.
Although they tend to different aspects of the university, each of these women fill a role in the traditions of A&M. Some worked multiple jobs to get to where they are, others worked endless hours fulfilling requirements to apply to their position, all of which was completed amongst school work and other duties.
Amy Sharp, business honors and management senior and Student Body President, hopes to represent students in any way possible and worked hard to make sure she could. Sharp worked two jobs to fund her schooling and campaign during the fall semester of her junior year, then worked one during her spring semester in the voting season.
“[The campaign season] was really a crazy time because you have to pay for a campaign and I funded my campaign, and I fund my college, so it was just a tsunami of craziness but at the same time it was obviously so worth it,” Sharp said. “I learned a ton about A&M in the process and about students and what they feel about the issues on campus.”
Mia Miller, nursing sophomore and Mascot Corporal in Company E-2 of the Corps of Cadets, has made history as the first woman to serve in this position. From her perspective, Miller simply wants others to view it how she does, which is that she was picked for being the best for the job and not necessarily focus on gender traditions.
“It’s not about me being mascot corporal in my opinion, it’s always been about making sure Rev looks her best,” Miller said. “For me, when I was trying out for the position I really didn’t think about ‘this is for feminism’ or anything, I was just trying to do my best and I feel like that’s what the other females in my outfit were doing too.”
Although she views her role humbly, there are still positive effects that have been noticed by Miller since she has been mascot corporal.
“I’ve heard several parents come up to me and be like, ‘Our daughter wants to be in E-2 one day and try her best to get Reveille too,’ so it’s exciting and really motivating for me …” Miller said. “So I think it’s cool that now other people are looking at it as an attainable goal; they can be the hander now and that’s very cool to me.”
Taylor Welch, business honors and management senior and Memorial Student Center President, said she feels she is completing a string of events with regards to the MSC.
“I had no idea I would ever apply to be MSC President, I just kind of threw myself into different areas of the MSC that I cared about,” Welch said. “I was honestly just fortunate to have people in my life that encouraged me and I started to realize that this position is what would best allow me to give back to an organization that really gave me so much during my three years here so far.”
In Welch’s junior year, the MSC president, Annie Carnegie, Class of 2018, helped set an example for Welch to follow. This helped make her transition to her role easier, but as all leaderships roles entail, there are still challenges for Welch to face.
“I think like anything, you have to work really hard and make sure you are taken seriously but I’ve had great mentors and role models who have helped me figure out how to do that,” Welch said.
Rose Marshall, political science senior and Parson’s Mounted Calvary commanding officer, is the first female to hold her position. She ensures the safety of 81 horses and 85 cadets while running the unit and facilities.
“I’m out there every day, almost four to six hours a day – even on the weekends I’m there,” Marshall said. “So it takes up a lot of time but it’s definitely worth it and I enjoy it.”
Megan Rodriguez, communications senior and editor-in-chief of The Battalion, has been preparing for her role to best help inform the readership of the student newspaper for her entire college career. Part of her decision in choosing this university was heavily based on the student media opportunities and established workforce.
“The Battalion was just a perfect fit,” Rodriguez said.
Although her parents never attended college, Rodriguez said they always told her it was a part of her future growing up. Her biggest worries were not knowing whether she would be able to keep her grades up, especially while working and going to school at the same time.
“I think a lot of the struggles that I faced had a lot more to do with me being a first generation college student than being a female,” Rodriguez said. “It took some time to really be able to realize that I could actually be quite successful at a university and that I could do a lot more than I initially thought I could.”

• Senior Amy Sharp will serve as Student Body President during the 2018-2019 school year.