Letter to the editor: Ross Volunteer urges students to attend Silver Taps

An Open Letter to the Aggie Family,
Howdy, Ags. To those who’ve returned back to Aggieland this semester, welcome back! At this institution, we talk a lot about selfless service; willingly and joyfully sacrificing our time and resources while expecting nothing in return In fact, this university and its traditions are rooted in service and self-sacrifice; just take a walk through the MSC. Throughout our history, Aggies have found ways to boldly serve this nation, state and most importantly, their fellow man.
Silver Taps is the most special and intimate tradition on this campus. It is traditions like this that make being an Aggie special and the Aggie family real. To simply be in attendance is the most selfless act you could perform for the loved ones of your fellow Aggie. The gesture of standing in total darkness with your fellow Aggie on a Tuesday night is powerful and greatly appreciated by the visiting families. When there is no elbow room on the grass in front of the Academic Building, and the only sound is the wind through the Century Tree, it’s easy to see what the Aggie family is all about.
Unfortunately, we again must perform the amazing act of solidarity that is Silver Taps. Attendance for Silver Taps is traditionally strong in September because of the Fish Camp groups and the excitement that accompanies the beginning of a new year. Slowly but surely, the numbers dwindle until only the Corps and a few truly dedicated Aggies come to share in the embrace of the families. We owe it to our brothers’ and sisters’ families to be standing there when we tell them that we cared about their loved one and what they did with their life.
To be clear: There is nothing “in it for you.” Silver Taps is solely another medium through which Aggies experience the hidden joy and value in the tradition of selfless-service.
In the past, the square area between Nagle, Bolton Hall, the YMCA Building and the Academic Building was full of Aggies standing together to honor those at Silver Taps; that was when the university had significantly less students. How much larger could our symbol of respect be with a student body of 50,000 Aggies?
Please, on behalf of the families of the fallen, I ask that you carve 30 to 45 minutes out of your busy life on a Tuesday night to be an engaged member of the Aggie Family. The simple fact is that surrendering that time to the grieving families is what Silver Taps, being an Aggie and selfless service is all about. Show up at Academic Plaza on Tuesday night. The ceremony starts precisely at 10:30 p.m.
Your presence alone is an amazing act of compassion and selflessness.
How many people would you want to comfort and serve your family at Silver Taps?
Respectfully and dutifully at your service,
Firing Squad Commander ’15
Ross Volunteer Company