Texas A&M pitcher Ryan Prager (18) reacts during Texas A&M’s game against Arkansas at Olsen Field on Thursday, May 16, 2024. (CJ Smith/The Battalion)
No. 5 Aggies outlast No. 3 Razorbacks in 11-inning pitchers duel

If you’re a fan of high-scoring baseball, Thursday’s matchup between No. 5 Texas A&M and No. 3 Arkansas probably wasn’t for you. But...

Living with purpose

The iconic yellow wristbands with beveled lettering spelling out LIVESTRONG could be found on countless wrists dating back to 2004.
The nonprofit foundation provides cancer support services for both patients and survivors, while also providing initiatives to further cancer research. Fifteen years after the foundation’s establishment, four Texas A&M students seized the opportunity to intern at the LIVESTRONG headquarters in Austin.
Senior Heather Fogus, juniors Juliana Boswell and Callie Zinsmeyer and graduate student Stephanie Whitehead are spending their summer interning with the
LIVESTRONG Foundation.
The internships range from areas of development and fundraising, marketing, government relations and external affairs. Numerous sub-groups fall within those categories allowing each intern to meet their interest
and passion.
Fogus, a political science major, said LIVESTRONG was a suitable choice because of her desire to work with a nonprofit organization after school.
As part of “Team LIVESTRONG” Fogus works with fundraising and brainstorming incentives to achieve donations.
“A lot of [fundraising] is spreading LIVESTRONG’s message to all [the] donors,” Fogus said. “You’re keeping good relationships so that the overall message is positive. So you just want to make sure you’re giving the best impression possible.”
LIVESTRONG places a strong emphasis on spreading cancer awareness and prevention to different communities. For instance, the Promotores program trains people to act as a resource to the
Hispanic and Latino population in lower socioeconomic areas, while educating those who have little or no knowledge of cancer prevention or research.
Boswell, junior international studies major and intern with the Promotores program, described the act of service as casting a significant role in her life and family.
“Promotores spreads out awareness for people who haven’t known much about Hispanic and Latino population in lower socioeconomic areas, while educating those who have little or no knowledge of cancer prevention
or research.
“Promotores spreads out awareness for people who haven’t known much about cancer,” she said. “They know they have a support group out there and have people to be there for them.”
Even with the varying branches within the foundation, each A&M intern said the service and values behind the face of the LIVESTRONG brand are aspects of a career they seek in the future.
“The team at the LIVESTRONG Foundation is passionate about serving cancer survivors and strives to make decisions based on how it will impact these individuals,” said Whitehead, a marketing intern and marketing graduate student. “I admire their commitment to improving the lives of those affected by cancer, and hope to emulate these values in my
own career.”
Taking with them the skills from their time spent at A&M, the interns have found LIVESTRONG to be a place fostering both professional and personal growth.
“This internship, much like my time at A&M, has shown me what it takes to represent a consistent and true image to the public,” said Zinsmeyer, a community programs and engagement intern and international studies major. “Whether it be a household brand like LIVESTRONG or presenting the best version of yourself to everyone you [interact] with.”
A portion of LIVESTRONG’s motto is to “improve lives.” Zinsmeyer said her time spent at LIVESTRONG has given her a “clearer vision” for how she will shape her own future, and helped to improve her own life.