Local artist Dale Wicks has art displayed in Bryan-College Station

Dale Wicks began his career as a serious painter in 1989 because of an unusual encounter with a bathroom light. Wicks said when he turned on the light in the bathroom he noticed how all the grays became colors, so he turned off the light to observe the transition again. He said he thought without light there was no color and he believed that God was light. So he went out, bought supplies and started painting.
Dale Wicks, with wife Darnell and daughter Rachel, have established themselves in the art world of Central Texas. The Wicks family moved to College Station three-and-a-half years ago, bringing a world full of color along with them.
Dale’s paintings are full of color, energy and emotion. Dale said his work has been influenced by Van Gogh and Edward Munch, among other expressionists.
“I incorporate both spiritual and personal issues into each piece that I paint,” Wicks said.
He said he paints in response to the times and situations, such as the recent attacks on America. He was inspired to paint a piece he calls “The Touch,” which shows a person being comforted and filled with hope.
Dale said he feels inspired when someone can see something in his painting that no one has seen before. Wicks said he wants his art to live and grow and for people to be able to relate to it. He and his family feel that their art is a journey of discovery that has often tried to bring forth new concepts and styling, independent of historical statements.
“I want each person to take something away with them when they see my art,” Wicks said.
Like Dale, Darnell and Rachel share a passion for art. Darnell enjoys a cubism style, and Rachel enjoys creating collages, painting figures, and using expressionism. Darnell’s work influences are Peter Max and Picasso. Rachel said growing up with two creative parents has influenced her.
The Wicks’ art can be seen in several places around the Bryan-College Station area. Dale said Inspirations, Quantum Cow, Texas Art Gallery and Soul Works Art Gallery — where he taught painting — all carry art by the Wicks’ family. Dale’s work is also on display at Sweet Eugene’s House of Java. The Wicks’ art can be bought in other parts of the country, including Colorado, New York, Houston and Oklahoma.
People interested in viewing the family’s artwork can visit www.artbywicks.com, where there are more than 300 paintings on display along with sizes and prices. Dale said the prices of their art are reasonable and affordable. The sizes and prices range from 12×18 prints for $15 to matted 16×20 prints for $25.
“I don’t want my art to be out of reach for students and people who don’t have a lot of money,” Wicks said. “Art is something everyone should be able to enjoy.”
Dale said the reason he chose to come to a small town like College Station was because of the lack of a large art scene. He said artists tend to skip over College Station and go directly to the larger cities.
“I think people in College Station are hungry for art just as much as people from the larger cities — they just don’t have as much access to it,” Wicks said. “I wanted to make art more accessible here.”
Wicks said he and Darnell are interested in trying to bring more art events to College Station. He said they have tried over the last few years but it has been difficult to generate interest. Wicks said they are always interested in helping the art world grow locally because this is what they do for a living. He said there are a lot of serious artists who do it for a hobby but they are not full time.
Wicks said some of his best-selling pieces are “Fascinating Journey,” “Melancholy Man,” and “I am what I am.” Wicks also has done art of Texas A&M-related items, such as the water tower and Bonfire.
Wicks advises others who want to express themselves through art to “do it, and above all, follow your heart and vision.”
“Don’t be a clone,” he said.