76th Speaker of the Senate Marcus Glass, left, poses with incoming 77th Speaker of the Senate Ava Blackburn.
Student leaders reflect on years of service in final Student Senate meeting
Justice Jenson, Senior News Reporter • April 18, 2024

The Student Government Association wrapped up its 76th session by giving out awards such as the Senator, Committee and Statesman of the Year...

Freshman Tiago Pires reaches to return the ball during Texas A&M’s match against Arkansas on Sunday, April 7, 2024 at Mitchell Tennis Center. (Lana Cheatham/The Battalion)
No. 14 Aggies receive early exit from SEC Tournament
Matthew Seaver, Sports Writer • April 19, 2024

The No. 14 Texas A&M men’s tennis team fell to the No. 44 LSU Tigers 4-3 in a down-to-the-wire duel on Thursday, April 18. Facing off at...

Julia Cottrill (42) celebrating a double during Texas A&Ms game against Southeastern Louisiana on Thursday, Feb. 22, 2024 at Davis Diamond. (Hannah Harrison/The Battalion)
Muffled the Mean Green
Members of the 2023-2024 Aggie Muster Committee pose outside the Jack K. Williams Administration Building. (Photo courtesy of Aggie Muster Committee)
Orchestrating a century-old tradition
Sydnei Miles, Head Life & Arts Editor • April 18, 2024

As Muster approaches, the Aggie Muster Committee works to organize a now century-old tradition. These students “coordinate every facet” of...

(Graphic by Ethan Mattson/The Battalion)
Opinion: ‘Fake Money,’ real change
Eddie Phillips, Opinion Writer • April 19, 2024

Us Aggies live privileged existences: companies beg us to take on tens of thousands in loans.  I know this may sound contradictory, but the...

Local child is diagnosed with bacterial meningitis

A local sixth-grader was hospitalized Friday after being diagnosed with a case of bacterial meningitis.
The Bryan-College Station Eagle reported March 1 that the unidentified student from Sam Rayburn Middle School was taken to a doctor Wednesday with a rash and a high fever. A spinal tap conducted at a local hospital confirmed the presence of the infection.
Bacterial, or meningococcal, meningitis is an inflammation of the tissues covering the brain and spinal cord. State health officials estimate that the bacteria that causes the infection lives in the throats and noses of nearly 15 percent of the population without making them sick.
If meningitis is diagnosed early and treated properly, the majority of people affected make a complete recovery, according to the Texas Department of Health.
The disease can be spread by coughing, sneezing, kissing or sharing utensils. It is not as contagious as the common cold and cannot be transmitted by casual contact or breathing the breath of an infected person.
Dr. Richard Conklin, a College Station physician who specializes in infectious diseases, said that although meningitis is not unique to college students, they should be wary of the symptoms.
“Don’t wait around to see what develops, see your doctor immediately if you show signs of any symptoms,” he said. “It is not a really big issue if it is caught early, but it will be if you let it go too long.”
Brazos Valley physicians have reported an average of only one local case of bacterial meningitis each year. Statewide, there were 119 cases reported last year, a decrease from 198 in 2001, the Eagle reported.
The Texas Department of Health recommends certain at-risk groups such as college students, particularly freshmen living in dorms or residence halls, be vaccinated.
Statistics affirm that the highest group at risk for meningitis is between the ages of 2 and 18. However, there is a risk for meningitis in all age groups.
The Center for Disease Control and Prevention recommends that travel, school and large group attendance may continue as planned without fear of contracting meningitis.