Longhorns take bowl dreams to Kansas

The University of Texas enters Lawrence, Kan., on a roll this weekend. The Longhorns’ key to success lies in the running game of senior Cedric Benson.
Benson is averaging 160 yards per game, and the Longhorns are 8-0 when he goes over the century mark in yards. Look for Kansas to load up the line and attempt to force Texas quarterback Vincent Young to beat it through the air.
The Jayhawks have dropped three consecutive contests to Oklahoma, Iowa State and Colorado. Injuries have hurt the Jayhawks, as evidenced last weekend when they were forced to use third-string quarterback John Nielson in their 30-21 loss to Colorado.
Kansas will need to feed off its crowd and grab an early lead. If the Jayhawks can slow down Benson, they might have a shot because Young is not a prolific passer.
This is unlikely though, because the Longhorns are much more athletic and have more to play for (namely a BCS Bowl bid). Look for Texas to extend its winning streak to five games.
Nebraska vs. Oklahoma – This game is a far cry from the traditional Nebraska-Oklahoma matchups that used to consistently decide who played for the National Championship. This year, only the Sooners have a shot at winning the title.
Oklahoma returns home after two gutsy wins at Oklahoma State and Texas A&M. The Sooners have simply been outscoring their opponents. The past three games, they have tabbed an average of 38 points a game, and quarterback Jason White has thrown for 12 touchdowns.
Nebraska is having a disappointing year that was made worse last weekend by a 34-27 loss to Iowa State. To have any kind of chance this Saturday, Nebraska will have to keep the Sooners’ offense off the field. The Cornhuskers will need to get some points off turnovers and make some big plays.
Don’t expect it, though. Oklahoma should stay hot and move one step closer to the Big 12 Championship game.
Kansas State vs. Colorado – A game that looked so intriguing before the season started has now been downgraded to a game that might help one of these teams become bowl eligible. That is not to say either of these teams is going bowling, though.
The Big 12 North has been a failure this year, and these two teams are a big reason why.
Kansas State, which started this season ranked no. 12 in the country, has especially disappointed. The Wildcats will have a good chance to win if their star running back Darren Sproles performs to his full potential. The senior is having an up-and-down season, yet his electrifying 74-yard touchdown run helped turn the tide last week against Missouri.
Colorado is coming off a 30-21 win against Kansas. The Buffaloes need to win Saturday and at Nebraska on November 26 to make a strong case for a bowl.