Texas A&M infielder Rylen Wiggins (2) reacts during Texas A&M’s game against Texas at the Austin Super Regional at Red and Charline McCombs Field in Austin, Texas, on Sunday, May 26, 2024. (CJ Smith/The Battalion)
Aggies’ season ends with heartbreaking loss to Longhorns

Sharper play in the sixth innings of Texas A&M softball’s NCAA Super Regional series with No. 1 Texas may have been the difference between...

MAIL CALL

Code of Honor sometimes not taken seriously
I am writing as a kind of warning to all fellow Aggies. I was under the naive impression that most Aggies took the Aggie Code of Honor seriously. Therefore, I have never been really overly attentive to my possessions while around campus or neighboring businesses. Friday night, my purse was stolen and I innocently assumed that I had lost or misplaced it and therefore waited to call my credit card companies. I assumed if an Aggie had found it that it would be returned to me.
There were plenty of ways to contact me: my student ID, my drivers license, my checkbook, not to mention the ID card contained in the wallet. I finally called the police and filed a report, still under the impression that it would make its way back to me.
I found out recently not only had it been taken, but that my possessions were being used and that the person using it is a fellow A&M student. So the important lesson to be learned here is where the warning comes in. Do not blindly believe in the innate goodness of students at A&M over other places.
Expect your possessions to be stolen and have all the information on what you carry in your purse and wallet filed away at home so that when your identity gets stolen unexpectedly you won’t have to go to the hassle of trying to get things together so that you can go on with day to day activity. This may seem trivial to some, but then again you still have all of your possessions and your naive belief in the goodness of the Aggie spirit.
Tara Afrakhteh
Class of 2001
Separate facilities a bad idea
In response to Kelln Zimmer’s October 5th column:
Except for having read Eric Dickens’ opinions in The Battalion the past couple years, I would have to say that Ms. Zimmer’s column was one of the most ridiculous columns I have read in The Battalion.
She suggests that a “separate, but equal” public facility, paid for with public funds, be created for women on this campus to have “separate, but equal” access to work out equipment.
It is my understanding from basic high school history and political science classes that the US Supreme Court ruled many years ago that “separate, but equal” was inherently unequal.
That being said, if Ms. Zimmer wants a private place to work out and exercise, she can do what everyone else has the right to do — join a private club.
As long as everyone is paying the same Rec Center fees, there should be no men- only, women-only, blacks-only, etc. areas. It is a facility funded equally by every student on campus and therefore the whole facility should be equally accessible to all students on campus.
Everyone, regardless of race or gender, should be able to have full access to the Student Recreation Center and all its advantages.
Marc Barringer
Class of 1992
Innovative punishment
Here’s an innovative way to fix the situation in Afghanistan. Killing Bin Laden will only create a martyr. Holding him prisoner will inspire his comrades to take hostages to demand his release.
Therefore, let us do neither. Have the Special Forces covertly capture him, fly him to an undisclosed hospital, and let surgeons quickly perform a complete sex change operation. Then return her to Afghanistan to live as a woman under the Taliban.
Keith Wilson
Class of 1999
Irish fan enjoyed Aggieland
I attended the Notre Dame game at Kyle Field. Although I did not like the outcome, I wish to compliment the students and alumni on the reception I received from the time I arrived in College Station until leaving.
Although I was dressed in my Notre Dame cap, golf shirt and jacket, everywhere I went I was greeted cordially with many fans. I cannot remember being greeted that way at any other school while out in my Irish outfit.
The maroon crowd even had me locking arms with them and swaying to your school’s fight song. I enjoyed my stay immensely, and thanks to the fans. I hope South Bend fans will do the same.
Bart Cooper