Mail Call – Bonfire no longer burns, but Aggies can make up

I believe I did not comprehend the gravity of the Bonfire tragedy when I heard it from my home country in 1999 – the year I was preparing my application for graduate studies at Texas A&M. And ever since I became a part of the Aggie family, first as a student and later as a staff member, I have found it difficult to explain my feelings about it. But today’s memorial service has encouraged me to make an attempt to voice my words.
What’s happened cannot be reversed, but we can grow from our experiences in life. Isn’t this life, that we are all so fortunate to have at this moment, bigger than those ephemeral things we try to hold onto so dearly – events, traditions and memories? Just like the fallen Aggies we remembered yesterday, wouldn’t it be worthwhile to invest this moment in our lives in doing something that will touch many more after we are gone? Wouldn’t it be wise to accept the fact that it was time for the Bonfire tradition to fade into some other glorious tradition? Let this beautiful Bonfire memorial dedicated yesterday be the stack of logs that will stand forever hugging the centerpole, so that we don’t need to replicate it again each year. We had basked in the warmth of the Bonfire for more than 90 years. It is probably time to spread the warmth beyond the borders of this great University.
We spent millions of dollars on the Bonfire each year. Can we now use those resources to organize, for example, a huge charity event every year on the polo grounds? There are people from all walks of life in this community who need our love and attention – why not dedicate this day to reach out to them every year? I am sure our twelve 12 heroes will smile approvingly from each of their portals when we do that.