Mail Call – Bonfire tradition worthy of all Aggies’ respect

The fact of the matter is that Bonfire was important to many people. Although based on an “over-hyped rivalry,” it had become something else to a large portion of the students and alumni. To them, it was a way to meet people, interact and work toward a common goal. It was a focal point for fall events and dorm activities, a time to join together, relive the past and even celebrate. Alcohol was a part of it for some, but only for some.? Thousands attended and participated without drinking a drop. Bonfire was a ritual, a tradition like any other found throughout the world’s varied subcultures.
To many people it may seem silly, even to some fellow Aggies. But then again, all traditions seem silly to someone. Many, such as the running of the bulls, are dangerous. However to the cultures in which they exist, they have meaning, and continue to this day. We should recognize that these silly things may in fact have value to their participants, and be tolerant of others’ traditions. When you attack something people value, you attack them and their memories. Please try respecting others’ traditions regardless of the value you perceive them to have, because in all likelihood, someone has done the same for you.