Junior INF Koko Wooley (3) catches the ball during Texas A&Ms game against Kentucky on April 7th, 2024 at Davis Diamond. (Jaime Rowe/The Battalion)
Troubles in ‘Loosa
Sophomore LHP Ryan Prager (18) celebrates getting the last strikeout during A&Ms games against Vanderbilt on Friday, April 12, 2024, at Olsen Field. (CJ Smith/The Battalion)
Ring Day run rule
Troubles in ‘Loosa
Ring Day run rule
Dr. Weston Porter (top left) and researchers from the breast cancer lab. (Photo courtesy of Dr. Weston Porter)
New A&M research initiative provides cutting-edge cancer treatments
J.M. Wise, News Reporter • April 8, 2024

It has been 20 months since Michelle Pozzi, Ph.D, of Texas A&M’s Biochemistry and Biophysics department was diagnosed with cancer. However,...

Troubles in ‘Loosa
Braxton Dore, Sports Writer • April 13, 2024

After taking the home series over Kentucky last weekend, No. 12 Texas A&M softball received a well-deserved break over the week before traveling...

Ring Day run rule
Students, residents commemorates Eid Al-Fitr
Lasan Ukwatta Liyanage, Life & Arts Writer • April 11, 2024

This year's Eid Al-Fitr celebration, hosted by Texas A&M’s Muslim Student Association, or MSA, drew over 1,500 attendees on Wednesday,...

Student housing located right outside off campus boundaries on George Bush Drive. 
Guest Commentary: An open letter to City Hall
Ben Crockett, Guest Contributor • April 11, 2024

City Council, As representatives of the Texas Aggie Classes of 2024, 2025, 2026 and 2027, we write to you today to urge a reconsideration...

Mail Call – Chalk drawings offend A&M visitors

It seems that some of our fellow Aggies are being quite inconsiderate to others by voicing their opinions in a very crude and obscene manner. It is tremendously offensive to me and a large number of students, judging from the many disgusted reactions that I saw along my route to class a few days ago.
One might argue that in America we have the freedom of speech, so one is free to write anything offensive, obscene or not. Well, of course we have freedom of speech; the First Amendment to the U.S. Constitution prohibits the government to deny that right. However, some types of speech are classified as obscenity, and are restricted by law because obscenity is damaging to society as a whole. Just think of the impact those crude drawings had on the student body the faculty, and most embarrassing of all, families and visitors to our campus. The defacing of A&M’s sidewalks might have been fun and games to a certain few, but it certainly was a disgusting, tasteless and obscene way to try and voice an opinion. This campus is home to many students who certainly don’t appreciate vulgar drawings and messages showing up all over the place.
One would expect that, of all places, a university would be free from such immature and morally damaging acts of expression, but sadly that is not the case. I was almost embarrassed to be an Aggie that day, but I found relief in the fact that many of my fellow students were also disgusted by the messages around campus. So, to whoever left those messages, how about trying a civilized manner to say you don’t agree with something? It’s much more effective to actually back up your opinions.