Mail Call – Chalk drawings offend A&M visitors

It seems that some of our fellow Aggies are being quite inconsiderate to others by voicing their opinions in a very crude and obscene manner. It is tremendously offensive to me and a large number of students, judging from the many disgusted reactions that I saw along my route to class a few days ago.
One might argue that in America we have the freedom of speech, so one is free to write anything offensive, obscene or not. Well, of course we have freedom of speech; the First Amendment to the U.S. Constitution prohibits the government to deny that right. However, some types of speech are classified as obscenity, and are restricted by law because obscenity is damaging to society as a whole. Just think of the impact those crude drawings had on the student body the faculty, and most embarrassing of all, families and visitors to our campus. The defacing of A&M’s sidewalks might have been fun and games to a certain few, but it certainly was a disgusting, tasteless and obscene way to try and voice an opinion. This campus is home to many students who certainly don’t appreciate vulgar drawings and messages showing up all over the place.
One would expect that, of all places, a university would be free from such immature and morally damaging acts of expression, but sadly that is not the case. I was almost embarrassed to be an Aggie that day, but I found relief in the fact that many of my fellow students were also disgusted by the messages around campus. So, to whoever left those messages, how about trying a civilized manner to say you don’t agree with something? It’s much more effective to actually back up your opinions.