Neil Jhurani, Sports Writer • May 23, 2024

A warm, summer evening bestowed Hoover, Alabama on Wednesday night when the No. 4 Texas A&M Aggies faced the No. 15 Mississippi State Bulldogs...

Mail Call – ‘Colonization theory’ was a misnomer for beliefs

I was described as saying that there was another explanation for Jett’s findings, a so-called “colonization theory,” which proposes that North and South America were first colonized along the Pacific coast as opposed to the generally understood landward migration. This is false. What I did say is Jett identified a pattern, which I agreed with; however, his lecture did not thoroughly discuss the mechanism or process by which this pattern emerged, i.e. was it trade, exploration or conquest. I stated this question at the end of his lecture, which I felt he sufficiently answered.
When interviewing me, Ms. Schilling did ask what other theories I knew of regarding prehistoric settlement of the new world, the response to which she has termed the “colonization theory.” I did not say this explained the pattern Jett identified, nor do I believe it does. The process described by the “colonization theory” would have occurred at least 10,000 years prior to the emergence of the cultural traits Jett identified on both sides of the Pacific.