Mail Call – Every Aggie minority group deserves the right to chalk

In response to Adam Scharn’s April 25 column:
Mr. Scharn’s argument that “other campaigns are given more leeway because they concern politics, not drug use,” is absolutely not the case. The right to celebrate a holiday as well as push for legalization by all means concerns politics.
I would also object to the fact that since “only a minority of students supported the 4/20 chalkings,” their voices shouldn’t be heard. Since the use and possession of marijuana is illegal and is traditionally an underground phenomenon, there is no way of knowing that only a minority of the Aggie family is opposed to this particular occurrence of free speech.
Secondly, why should minorities’ opinions be bullied? Does this mean that every minority group on this campus shouldn’t be heard when they voice their concerns about their group’s cause? April 20 advocates cannot be the only group of Aggies charged with defacing property. No matter the cause, if A&M has a problem with sidewalks being chalked, it should ban the practice completely.