Making a comeback

For the Texas A&M’s men’s basketball program, this off-season was a time for change. Disappointed with the team’s performance under the direction of Melvin Watkins, the Aggies changed coaches.
With six seniors and several other players leaving, the Aggies had to add 10 new faces.
Along with new uniforms and a new playing surface at Reed Arena, the only thing familiar to Aggie fans this season will be the six returning lettermen. And, under a new system, they might even look different.
With so many changes taking place, these six returnees – sophomores Acie Law IV, Marlon Pompey and Justin Loewe, juniors Luis Clemente and Antoine Wright and senior Bobby Leach – are in many ways like newcomers. Not only will they have to play with new faces in a new system, they must adjust to a new attitude and playing style. Watkins was an offensive-minded players’ coach not known for yelling or screaming. New coach Billy Gillespie is quite the opposite, as he chooses to focus on defense, conditioning and intensity.
“It’s not really hard to learn the system. It’s just hard adjusting to playing harder every day,” Wright said. “That’s not something we were used to, especially in practices. It’s been hard trying to adjust and stay on that level of practicing hard every day.”
One of the team’s biggest advantages coming into the season is Wright’s enthusiasm. Wright, who many pegged to leave after Watkins’ departure, said he doubted that he’d stay on the team. That all changed when he had his first face-to-face meeting with Gillespie. The next day, he made his decision to stay and started working on building a better rapport with his teammates.
“I guess everyone wants me to say that he’s an area of concern, but he’s been great with us. He’s been great since day one,” Gillespie said. “He’s been fantastic actually. He’s embraced hard work. I think if you talked to him right now, he’d say that he is closer to his teammates than he’s ever been on any team. He’s providing leadership, and he’s still in a learning mode himself.”
Despite struggling through a tough season a year ago, Wright still has the talent that made him the most celebrated recruit in A&M history just two years ago. His new commitment to hard work and to team building should help propel the Aggies into the Gillespie era.
The Aggies will also depend on the leadership of Wright’s new roommate, Acie Law IV. Although he is just a sophomore, Law is a veteran on the team, and his coach wants his leadership to reflect that.
“That was one of the first things Coach G told me when he got here – that he wanted me to talk more and be more vocal,” Law said. “We’re a young ball club, but everyone encourages each other and are there for each other. We are all becoming leaders.”