Making Aggie resolutions a reality

Photo by File

Sbisa and other campus dining halls provide information to help students maintain healthy eating habits.

Each new year brings promises of change. 

A few common New Year’s resolutions for students include getting involved in a gym, maintaining a healthy diet and improving academic performance. Many have a hard time sticking to their resolutions, but have no fear — Texas A&M has many resources that can help.

Diet:

Want to shed the freshman 15? On-campus dining halls can help students maintain any type of diet they are trying to pursue. Each dining hall provides extra information along with each meal being served. Identifiers note the number of calories in a serving and whether an item is vegan or contains gluten.

“If you have goals for the next year, portion control is a great way to meet those goals,” said Stephanie Benson, district marketing manager for University Dining.

Chartwells, the company that oversees A&M’s campus dining, has a dietitian for students to speak with to help improve their eating habits. The dietitian can assist students in creating a plan to start eating healthier. Students can set up a free appointment online at dineoncampus.tamu.edu/schedule-nutrition-appointment.

Exercise: 

Want to become more physically active? Visiting the Student Recreation Center on campus is a great way to work out and have fun. 

In addition to its extensive lineup of sport and exercise facilities, the Rec offers an array of special classes and programs.

“Each semester we have what we call free week … where people can try out classes and try out small group trainings to see if they like it before they pay for registration,” said Jerod Wilson, associate director of recreational sports.

Looking for a specific activity to try out? The Rec Sports Spring 2019 Guide, located throughout the Rec, has full schedules with more information about the different classes available at the Rec. 

“Getting in [the gym] is better than doing nothing,” said personal and small group training coordinator Stephan Opskar.

More information about classes and programs is available online at 

recsports.tamu.edu.

Education:

Want to improve your academic performance? The Academic Success Center is a great way to get extra help with classes. 

The center provides students with free tutoring and Supplemental Instruction (SI) sessions for a variety of classes. 

SI and tutoring program coordinator Lindsey Randolph said session schedules are available online at 

successcenter.tamu.edu.

The center also provides academic coaches, who can help students become better learners.

Randolph said one strategy to remember this semester is to set short and long term goals because achieving short term goals will make reaching long term ones seem less challenging.

“Outline what your goals are and find your motivation,” Randolph said.