March urges women to Take Back The Night

The Texas A&M Women’s Resource Center, the Sexual Assault Resource Center of Brazos Valley and Twin City Mission Domestic Violence Services will have a Take Back the Night march at 7 p.m. Thursday on Simpson Drill Field.
“I think it’s important here for people to realize it’s a national program,” said Merna Jacobsen, director of Women’s Resource Center for A&M.
Its purpose is to denounce the violence that occurs to women.
There has not been a Take Back The Night march at A&M since 2005 but with more than 34 sexual assault cases in the College Station area in 2007, the Women’s Resource Center decided it was time for another one.
The march will have a table of information, testimonials from sexual assault victims, a candlelight vigil and two musical performances. It is expected to last approximately two hours.
“The march will begin on Simpson Drill Field and we will march and chant to Sbisa where we will have a keynote address by Alesha Istavan, the executive director of The Brazos Valley Sexual Assault Resource Center,” Jacobsen said.
Sexual assault is one of the most under-reported crimes, with one in five college students experiencing some sort of sexual assault. These assaults involve alcohol and/or drugs approximately 85 percent of the time.
With these statistics, Jacobsen said, “We must work together and make our campus safe for everyone.”
Jacobsen said anyone can and should come out and support the cause.
“This is a great opportunity for students, faculty and staff to make a statement.”
Take Back The Night isn’t just about sexual assault, it is also about other violent “silent” crimes that go unreported, such as domestic assault and other circumstances due to the fear of social discomfort.
Take Back The Night also encourages students, or anyone who has suffered from such discrepancies, to call the toll-free hotline to talk to attorneys, or a therapist.
Take Back The Night originated in the 1800s in London. The program was directed toward women who were scared to walk alone at night. The purpose of the program was to spread awareness and show that the night could be safe for everyone.
Over time, its focus has grown to include men and children who suffer from violence.