Marine, world traveler

Characterized by the tattoos on his arm and his laid-back personality, Michael Vogel, graduate student in the Bush School, will be remembered for his service to his county.
Michael was born on Oct. 27, 1987, to Donna and Gary Vogel. He died on Jan. 18, after suffering from post-traumatic stress disorder. Michael is survived by his older brother, Aaron.
“There are no answers,” said Michael’s mother, Donna Vogel. “It must have been something so deep to have bothered him that much.”
Michael resided in Westerly, R.I., and graduated from Westerly High School. Growing up, Michael was a sports fan and adventure-seeker. He loved to hike, run, surf, skateboard, snowboard, play the guitar and do yoga. He also enjoyed traveling, and documented everywhere he went in a journal. He was even a certified scuba diver.
“Mike was a very active person and full of life,” said Capt. Robert Altman, international affairs graduate student at the Bush School. “He was very respectful, but never afraid to ask why. He wanted to understand the why behind policy because he knew how it affected peoples’ lives.”
A veteran of the U.S. Marine Corps, Michael served in Al-Anbar, Iraq, during the 2007 troop surge. He left active duty as a sergeant to complete his undergraduate studies.
While completing his undergraduate program, Michael spent a semester at sea and traveled to 13 different countries. In January 2011, he graduated Summa Cum Laude from the University of Rhode Island with a bachelor of arts degree in political science. Michael was named the David Warren International Relations Scholar of the Year.
Michael supplemented his education with policy internships with the U.S. Naval College and the Potomac Institute for Policy Studies in Washington, D.C. In the fall of 2011, Michael was named a Robertson Fellow at the George Bush School of Government and Public Service.
“He was an extremely intelligent person and had a love for learning that transcended every part of his life,” said Carly Hilley, public service and administration graduate student. “It was no question that Mike truly enjoyed his classes and loved sharing what he learned to his peers.”
Hilley added that Michael’s worldview — developed through diverse life experiences — added to other students’ educations.
“His desire to look beyond the pages of a book was contagious to all students. Mike had traveled to more countries and experienced more than any of us could ever imagine,” Hilley said. “He was a friend to us all and he will forever be missed by his professors and peers.”
Michael’s awards and decorations include: Expert Rifleman Badge, Combat Action Ribb on Marine Corps Selected Reservist Medal, National Defense Service Medal, Iraqi Campaign Medal, Global War on Terrorism Service Medal, Sea Duty Ribbon and Marine Corps Reservist Medal.