Maroon Out in full force for LSU game

For 15 years, the Maroon Out football game has united Kyle Field in its own unique way. Though the shirt design has changed over the years, the message remains the same: We are the Aggies. The Aggies are we.
The Maroon Out tradition began in 1998 in a game against No. 2 Nebraska, which was known for its sea of red. Then junior class president, Kyle Valentine, wanted to match the Nebraska fans and give the 12th Man a boost of confidence.
We had come off kind of an embarrassing loss against Nebraska at the Alamo bowl, said Chelsea Hunt, Maroon Out inventory director and junior petroleum engineering major. [Valentine] saw how united Nebraska was with their sea of red and he really wanted to do that.
Although A&M didnt beat Nebraska that year, Hunt said the purpose behind Maroon Out was to unite the 12th Man and have a sea of maroon at the football game.
People werent always all wearing maroon, Hunt said. [Valentine] really wanted to unite [the 12th Man] and make the 12th Man more intimidating.
Fourteen years later, Class Councils who are also responsible for traditions such as Elephant Walk and Ring Dance are still working to keep the tradition strong.
Hunt said Maroon Out is completely student-run and sells more than 50,000 shirts every year and although Saturdays game will be early, she said it is still important for Aggies to participate.
Having everyone in the stands wearing a maroon shirt and waving white, no matter what time of day it is, is one of the most awe-inspiring and intimidating sights you can see, Hunt said. As an Aggie looking up and seeing that, youre just inspired. As another team looking up and seeing that its extremely intimidating.
Just as in the Maroon Outs debut in 1998, A&M is playing another highly ranked team for the game. LSU is no stranger to raucous crowds and been called one of the toughest places to play in the nation.
The LSU fans are going to bring it, Hunt said. And we need to bring it harder.