Maroon Out sales break 30,000, expected to continue growing

Maroon+Out
Photo by Photo By: Bryan Johnson
Maroon Out

So far “well over” 30,000 Maroon Out shirts have been sold, said Hannah Wimberly, head director of Maroon Out. 
According to the Maroon Out committee, last year over 40,000 shirts were sold. This year’s numbers are expected to continue growing as there will be two more “Maroon Out Games” this semester, including a soccer game against Ole Miss on Oct. 25 and a volleyball game against Georgia on Nov. 8. 
Maroon Out was created in the summer of 1998 for the football game against Nebraska, when Kyle Valentine, Class of 2000, decided to outdo Nebraska fans who always wore red to a stadium full of Aggies wearing maroon.
Chris Raborn, finance director of Maroon Out, said its expansion is meant to show support to a larger number of Texas A&M athletes.
“We expanded Maroon Out this year beyond football because Maroon Out is meant to embody and unite the spirit of the 12th Man and the 12th Man does not only stand tall at football, but at all Texas A&M sporting events,” Raborn said. 
The directors also decided to sell long-sleeve shirts to create more excitement surrounding this year’s Maroon Out, Raborn said. 
“It was something we planned to do from the very beginning of the year, as it was something new and different for Maroon Out,” Raborn said.

Wimberly said she would like to see the expansion continue to more sports.

“We are confident that the spirit, tradition and unity that make Maroon Out unique will extend well into other sports,” Wimberly said.

Last year Maroon Out partnered with Aggieland Outfitters in order to expand their sales footprint with the addition of retail locations and online sale platforms, Wimberly said.

“Partnering with Aggieland Outfitters has been nothing but a positive experience,” Wimberly said. “They are incredibly supportive and a true partner — they understand that this is still student led, even with their assistance.”
Students should participate in buying a shirt for Maroon Out because the money goes back to the students, said Jacob Audirsch, marketing director of Maroon Out.

“Proceeds from Maroon Out pay for Elephant Walk, Ring Dance and Class Gifts like the giant cannon in Kyle Field,” Audirsch said. “We also gave a good sum of money to the Foundation with Maroon Out proceeds.”

Audirsch said Maroon Out is bigger than a shirt, it’s about the tradition that was started to unify the 12th Man during a time when the football team was not as strong as now.
“Our goal this year was to emphasize the idea that Maroon Out was not just a shirt,” Audirsch said. “It is a tradition that creates a physical embodiment of what we stand for.”