Maysfest’ reignites student spirits with food, games, music

Students shoot hoops at Maysfest on Wednesday, an event intended to allow students to blow off steam with finals approaching.

Photo by Jeff Dundas — The Battalion

Business Student Council gave business students a chance to escape the hectic study grind Wednesday with its bi-annual “Maysfest,” where Mays students had the opportunity to interact with local businesses while being offered games, prizes and free food.
“We do this mainly to serve the students of Mays and show them why they make Mays so great,” said Andrew Winker, accounting senior and BSC vice president of events.
BSC works hard every semester to add novelty to the fest, said business management junior Jordan Kozlowski. This year, the presence of companies was expanded.
“In the past we’ve invited companies to Maysfest,” Kozlowski said. “This year is the first year we had as large of a response as we did. Companies came to us and wanted to promote to the students.”
Bryan Broadcasting Corporation was one of the businesses present at Maysfest. Bryan Broadcasting intern Nicole Colunga said it was the company’s first time at Maysfest.
“It’s such a great way to spread our PR, promote our radio stations and give students free stuff,” Colunga said. “For example, we’re targeting the younger college crowd as they are the ones who frequently tune into our stations, such as Candy 95.”
Along with the presence of companies, Maysfest sought to gear students towards community service this year, Kozlowski said. Among those groups was Business Student Council’s own committee, Project Mays.
“Project Mays is preparing a signed banner and ‘thank you’ cards to give to workers in Ag Café,” Kozlowski said. “All these business majors go to Ag Café pretty religiously, so they thought that they should give a little thanks for dealing with all of us.”
Although Maysfest was free admission, the amount of financing that goes into organizing prizes, renting out bouncy castles and supplying food takes a lot of planning, Winker said.
“Our revenue stream for Maysfest comes largely through the career fair that we put on earlier this semester,” Winker said. “As far as budget allocation, we go off of previous years’ experience and weigh the costs with the benefit of how much we think students will enjoy what we feature.”