Meet SBP Candidate Joseph Benigno

Shelby Knowles — The Battalion

Aggie Story
Joseph Benigno grew up in Austin with an Aggie dad and a Longhorn mom — a house divided — but it wasn’t much of a question as to which university he would attend.
“My dad was an Aggie, his brothers were Aggies, my other uncle on the other side was an Aggie,” Benigno said. “Guys I looked up to in high school who mentored me, that led Bible studies, those were Aggies. My pastor was an Aggie, and so it started to become very clear to me early in high school that the men that I wanted to be like were Fightin’ Texas Aggies.”
Since Benigno stepped on campus as a student, he has been involved in Student Government Association. As a freshman, he was in Fish Aides and the SGA Legislative Relations committee. As a sophomore, Benigno was a student senator and policy manager for Kyle Kelly’s campaign.
Benigno is also a member of Brotherhood of Christian Aggies, but he has spent the last semester as SGA executive vice president, which helped motivate his decision to run.
“I’m really thankful I got to spend a semester close to the position and be able to make an informed decision,” Benigno said. “The last thing I want to do would be to make a decision and not fully understand what it takes to be student body president.”
Platform
Benigno said the chief purpose and power of the position is to be an advocate for students.
“I don’t get to make rules, I get to advocate on behalf of the student body to the administration,” Benigno said. “And the relationships I’ve made this year as vice president and the relationships that I plan on continuing to make I think are very important for the student body, because at the end of the day we can say that we want a bunch of things, but we have to go to the administration.”
With his platform, Benigno hopes to build on the tenure of Kelly and strengthen student ties.
“The goal, vision and purpose for our campaign is to preserve the best of our past and promote the best of our future,” Benigno said.
Benigno wants to increase attendance at Silver Taps and endow Silver Taps travel costs for families who are financially unable to attend the ceremonies.
“We never want families to not be able to see the outpour of love the Aggie family has through the tradition of Silver Taps because they financially can’t make it,” Benigno said.
Benigno also said he wants to strengthen the tradition of Muster by sending out student representatives April 21 to Muster ceremonies around the state.
Benigno said he will advocate for tax-free textbooks.
“We go to a Texas state public institution, I don’t think there’s an reason we should be paying Texas state taxes,” Benigno said.
In light of a recent City Council ordinances targeting multiple students living in the same residence, Benigno said he will push for student representation in Bryan-College Station politics.
“We have reached out to them, and we do know they are receptive to the idea of having a non-voting advocate for the student body to represent students at meetings,” Benigno said. “Regardless of whether or not I win, that’s something we need now.”