Meet the 2017-2018 Corps Leadership

Photo by Photo by Cassie Stricker

(Left to right ) Juniors Sara Wojcak, Brad Sauer, and Halley Kryszewski will serve as the 2017-2018 Corps of Cadets leadership.

Chosen for their leadership qualities and potential for significant influence on one of the most well-known institutions Texas A&M has to offer, the new senior leaders for the Corps of Cadets were selected to serve for the 2017-2018 school year.
While 13 seniors were chosen for key positions, the main three to represent Texas A&M through the Corps are political science junior Brad Sauer, management junior Sara Wojcak and physics junior Hailey Kryszewski. Sauer will hold the position of Corps commander, Wojcak as deputy Corps commander and Kryszewski as chief of staff.
According to Commandant of the Corps General Joe Ramirez, the selection process includes an academic standard, criteria they must meet in order to compete for the position and an interview.
“It’s a pretty lengthy process,” Ramirez said. “First off, we open up those leader positions to all cadets who are eligible. So anybody in the Corps can apply for these positions, anybody who is a rising senior leader for example … there’s a window of opportunity for you to apply for the position.”
Ramirez said the commandant staff, ROTC staff and all of the cadets who held the key leader positions this year were present during the potential cadet leader’s interviews.
“After we’re done with all the interviews, then we discuss the interviews, the applications and look at who we believe will be the most qualified to lead the Corps next year, from Corps commander all the way to the major unit commanders,” Ramirez said. “Then we vote, and we decide, the recommendation is made to me and ultimately I’m the one that makes the final decision on who gets selected, but it’s usually based on what the panel recommends.”
In terms of choosing the new Corps commander, Ramirez said Sauer was the clear choice to represent A&M through the military organization.
“We had some very, very good cadets apply this year as we have every year that I’ve been here and the competition was very, very tough,” Ramirez said. “But Brad Sauer rose to the top … it was obviously very competitive, but Brad Sauer was a easy pick when it came to determining who the Corps commander was going to be for next year.” 
Additionally, the selected leaders are active across campus being involved in ways such as Student Government Association, student organizations and members in the community of various organizations.
“Not the least of which is the leadership abilities they have already displayed as members of the Corps, as freshmen, sophomores, and juniors — we look at what they’ve done the entire time they’ve already been here, and that has stood out,” Ramirez said. “What stood out also is the wide variety of things they’ve done at Texas A&M, both in the Corps and across campus.”
Regarding his upcoming role as Corps commander, Sauer said he is most looking forward to the challenge along with the opportunity he will be provided with to have an impact on people.
“We’re going to accomplish our mission,” Sauer said. “When cadets show up our goal here is develop them as leaders and prepare cadets for whatever they might face after college — whether that be in the military or public or private sector. So whatever comes their way it’s our goal to make them as ready as possible for it.”
When he initially found out that he was chosen, Sauer said he felt a few different emotions at once.
“I was really excited at first,” Sauer said. “And then immediately after that, I got really nervous because it’s a lot of responsibility and a lot of the work … the success of our mission, in part, hinges upon being able to successfully do my job, so that makes me apprehensive, but I look forward to that challenge.”
Wojcak was introduced to the Corps through a scholarship that gave her in-state tuition since she is from Oklahoma, and while the Corps has played significant role in her life, she has continued to be involved off the Quad in organizations such as FLiC, serving as a Muster Host, Muster Committee and Texas A&M Foundation Maroon Coats. 
“While we were founded as an all-military school, obviously the Corps is only 2,500 of 50,000 now and so really encouraging the cadets to find their place, whether it’s on the quad … but also we can find it off the Quad as well in different organizations,” Wojcak said. “And I think really encouraging cadets to do that is something I’m really passionate about, and then also just being able to support Brad and the vision that he has.”
Wojcak also said it won’t be factors in relation to specific policy, but rather decisions that will affect the Corps in the years to come.
“The biggest thing is making decisions to reflect the end goal of greatness that will affect the years to come,” Wojcak said. “It’s only a year and we’re only 21 years old and we have an incredible opportunity, but our goal should be … with the future generations in mind.”
When her major unit commander and the current deputy commander first told her about the position, Wojcak described the experience as surreal.
“They both just kind of set me aside and told me that I was going to be deputy, and I think I was just shocked more than anything else that … there’s tons of incredible people in this organization that deserve leadership positions, and the fact that they thought that I was capable of it was just a huge honor.” 
Kryszewski said as chief of staff, he is anticipating the ability to work side by side with Sauer and Wojcak for the purpose of achieving a common ambition.
“Just being able to influence the policy in the Corps and having the commandant’s ear basically in what I think is best for the cadets and working that vision with Sara and Brad to ultimately make people better and to accomplish the goals set forward by the commandant,” Kryszewski said. 
Furthermore, Kryszewski said one of the biggest initiatives of the Corps stands to prepare cadets for the work force as well as to ensure success in both military and civilian industries.
“Our goal is to prepare those people so if we can bring in better career readiness, better resume writing, better interview prep, better leadership roles,” Kryszewski said. “That would be the dream achievement for us, is to have people set up to go out there and give A&M that good name and to continue on that tradition of excellence in all things that A&M is known for.” 
Overall, Ramirez conveyed his confidence in the leadership for the upcoming school year and his genuine gratitude for the chosen cadets who will represent the Corps.
“I’m very, very proud of the group we selected for next year, I think they’re going to do a great job,” Ramirez said. “At least in the six years that I’ve been here, we’ve been blessed with some very, very good cadet leaders across the board, and I have no doubt that next year is going to be just as good, if not better than this year…I really look forward to working with them.”

• Political science junior Brad Sauer will serve as the Corps commander for the 2017-2018 school year.

Photo by Photo by Cassie Stricker