Meet the Yell Leader candidates

Gilberto+Robelloso
Photo by Photo by Cassie Stricker
Gilberto Robelloso

The Battalion sat down with the four junior Yell Leader candidates and the senior Yell Leaders to discuss why they are running for the position.
Junior Yell Candidates

Gilberto Rebolloso
“Yell Leader is a widely known and well-respected position whose duty is to unify and inspire the student body. The privilege of representing the university I love so much would be unbelievable. As a Yell Leader, I would use my platform to promote diversity, build community and spread awareness on current events. Yell Leaders have the ability to influence thousands of students through their grand platform. I would use this platform to encourage more people of color to get involved in leadership positions throughout campus.”
Favorite Yell: Locomotive

Daniel Toerner
“I have always looked up to the Yell Leaders and loved the fact that they could make a whole stadium intimidate the opponent. Growing up, I loved A&M and I had a redass spirit that has stuck with me through the years. I want to use my outgoing personality and talents to do what I love — help be a keeper of the Aggie Spirit.”
Favorite Yell: Locomotive

Reid Williams
“I see Yell Leader as more than just a Saturday football game or a Midnight Yell. It’s also a time to be a positive impact to the people around me and just be a shining light. The people you encounter in this time, you can have such a great influence on. I really admire that and that’s something I really want to do.”
Favorite Yell: Farmers Fight

Karsten Lowe
“I think Yell Leader is a position where you can be a shining light to others around you. Other student-elected positions at this university are not only about your personality, but it’s also about your policy and your thoughts, whereas Yell Leader is a true radiation of who you are and it’s your spirit living out. You’re not elected because of what you think or what you say. You’re elected because of the impact others believe you can have.”
Favorite Yell: BTHO
Senior Yell Candidates

Cason Strnadel
“I am running for senior Yell Leader to make an impact on this university. Our mission statement is to inspire and empower every member of the Aggie Family, to protect tradition and keep the spirit. I believe that every Aggie has a common goal, and that is to leave Texas A&M better than when we found it. For that goal to be achieved, every Aggie must take on a personal responsibility to keep the spirit. I’m running for senior Yell Leader, not just to serve this university, but to inspire the Aggie family.”
Favorite Yell: Locomotive

Blake Jones
“I want to be Yell Leader because the people of Texas A&M have left a pretty incredible impact on me. Last March, my dad, who was Class of ’89 and probably the most redass Aggie to ever walk this campus, passed away. During that semester, the entire Aggie Family just really wrapped their arms around me, just loved on me and gave back to me in ways I never could be more thankful for. I believe serving as a Yell Leader is my opportunity to show the Aggie Family everything they’ve done for me and give back to them in a way that I’m truly expressing my gratitude and serving this university at the highest level that I can.”
Favorite Yell: Old Army

Connor Joseph
“Gavin and I have been able to use our experiences from this past year serving as junior Yell Leaders to cast a vision of how we want to continue to carry the torch and live out this legacy that Yell Leaders have carried forth since 1907. Using this past year as a platform of understanding to move forward and to cast a vision, we will be able to use this next year to live out that vision and accomplish some things and just continue to serve Texas A&M and continue to unify the student body.”
Favorite Yell: Locomotive

Gavin Suel
“At Fish Camp, I was just adopted into this Aggie family and I was just so excited because that’s the best word for it — it’s a family that every Aggie is a part of. I wanted to be able to convey that to everyone. As Yell Leader, it’s just such a special platform to do that. It’s pretty visible and you’re interacting with so many people, so for me to at least try to make everyone feel the way that so many people made me feel as a part of that family, that was what really made me want to pursue it.”
Favorite Yell: Old Army
All candidate information compiled by Luke Henkhaus, Megan Rodriguez and Taylor Fennell. Photos by Cassie Stricker. Quotes have been edited for clarity.

• Daniel Toerner

Photo by Photo by Cassie Stricker
  • Reid Williams

Photo by Photo by Cassie Stricker
  • Karsten Lowe

Photo by Photo by Cassie Stricker
  • Cason Strnadel

Photo by Photo by Cassie Stricker
  • Blake Jones

Photo by Photo by Cassie Stricker
  • Connor Joseph

Photo by Photo by Cassie Stricker
  • Gavin Suel

Photo by Photo by Cassie Stricker
  • The first Midnight Yell of the Texas A&M football season brought in thousands of Aggies and many UCLA fans for a night of yells and Aggie tall tales

Photo by Photo By: Brian Okosun @JRusalem_Photo