Meet the Yell Leader candidates

Shelby Knowles — THE BATTALION
Will Alders
Shelby Knowles — THE BATTALION Will Alders

Forrest Williams, Junior Yell Leader candidate
THE BATTALION: What is your Aggie story and why are you running for Yell Leader?
WILLIAMS: I have always wanted to attend Texas A&M. My mother’s family has always been big Aggie fans, my grandpa attended A&M as a corps member and my cousin attended from ’08-12, where I really learned all about traditions and what it truly means to be an Aggie. Everywhere I go I feel like I am called to be a leader and I want to help strengthen the student body by increasing their morals and spirit. Texas A&M is all about tradition and keeping the spirit of Aggieland alive.
Chris Wilder, Junior Yell Leader candidate
WILDER: I have extended family that went to Texas A&M, and my best friend’s grandfather was Class of ’57, so I heard many “Ol’ Army” stories about A&M. Through this man, I was able to learn about the traditions and values of Texas A&M and what makes it such a special place. I’m running for Yell Leader because I believe it is a great avenue of service to this wonderful university that has done so much for me.
Ben Ritchie, Senior Yell Leader candidate
RITCHIE: I grew up most of my life in Texas, I was actually raised a diehard Longhorn, but that all changed my junior year of high school. It didn’t take me long to see the light and before I even applied to college I already knew where I was going. I ended up joining the Corps at my New Student Conference, and it was one of the best decisions that I have made in college. [I’m running because] I have a passion to motivate and encourage people. This past year I learned that most of what we do in the whites is connect.
Zach Lawrence, Senior Yell Leader candidate
THE BATTALION: What does the role of Yell Leader mean to you?
LAWRENCE: I still wake up and can’t believe all that I’ve had the chance to do this over the past year. Yell Leaders are a part of our culture at A&M and I want to continue to be an ambassador for the same passionate Aggie Spirit that we’ve had since our beginnings. It is an honor to be advocates of our culture — sharing our passion for A&M by firing up the 12th Man at sporting events, teaching and upholding the traditions of our Aggie forefathers and keeping the Aggie family strong and united.
Steven Lanz, Senior Yell Leader candidate
LANZ: The first role of the Yell Leader is to serve as an ambassador for Texas A&M. As an ambassador, a Yell Leader has the opportunity to share with others the great traditions and everything else that make Texas A&M so special. A Yell Leader is also a representative of the student body. In this role, a Yell Leader continues to live out the core values at a higher level and represent a student body that is stronger and closer than any other.
Adam LaMasters, Senior Yell Leader candidate
LAMASTERS: The reason I am running is because I believe that I encompass everything a Yell Leader should be. I am running because it is my way of giving back and saying thank you to Texas A&M for accepting me as an Aggie. I want to show others that you can accomplish anything you set your mind to.
Shelby Fincher, Senior Yell Leader candidate
FINCHER: The role of a Yell Leader is to be a representative and an embodiment of the diverse student body and the 12th Man spirit. As a Yell Leader, you are an ambassador of our university and a role model. The purpose of a Yell Leader is to also promote Aggie athletics and perpetuate the traditions we hold near and dear to us. To do this we lead yells to get others pumped, and we also travel the country spreading the Aggie Spirit. That is a true Yell Leader.
Seth Bryant, Senior Yell Leader candidate
BRYANT: Why am I running for Yell Leader? I love this university and appreciate those who have sacrificed much to create and uphold the time-honored values that have made A&M such a special place. The bond that unites us as Aggies is a fire that burns deeply within me and I want to be a part of keeping that flame burning brightly in this generation of Aggies.
Will Alders, Junior Yell Leader candidate
ALDERS: I clearly remember attending my first Texas Aggie football game as a kid and walking across campus in the midst of a sea of maroon. The electric atmosphere, the welcoming and hospitable fan-base and the incredibly loud stadium all played a key part in igniting that flame of diehard Aggie spirit inside of little Will Alders. I immediately fell in love. The love, spirit, and passion that fills each Aggie student makes Texas A&M a premier university that will forever stand a little taller and a little prouder than the rest. This is why I want to serve as Yell Leader.
Kyle Cook, Senior Yell Leader candidate
COOK: Serving A&M should be the primary goal of any Yell Leader. There should be no thoughts of doing it for the personal glory or unique opportunities. Yell Leaders should ask themselves daily, “How can I make Texas A&M better? What can I do to serve the 12th Man?” As a Yell Leader, you essentially are Texas A&M to everyone. You are a representation of all of the students who make up a very diverse student body at the best school in the world.

• Shelby Knowles — THE BATTALION Will Alders