Memorable Moments in Music

A new year is upon us, and there is no doubt that with this new year will come new stories about the fortunes and misfortunes of musicians. Judging by the news rocking musicians of 2004, anything is likely in 2005. Who knows: Maybe Paris Hilton’s album will go platinum. But can 2004 be topped?
5) Political concerts try to rock the voteThe political battleground became even more heated when artists began joining forces for political concerts, most of which supported John Kerry. Artists such as Bruce Springsteen, Dave Matthews, The Dixie Chicks, REM and Pearl Jam performed at concerts that would have made Michael Moore very proud.
4) Music legends pass away (Ray Charles, ODB, Rick James)The soulful Ray Charles died in June of liver-disease. Charles, who was blinded by glaucoma before he was seven was a musical pioneer, artfully combing soul, gospel and blues.
Funk legend Rick James died in August from a heart attack caused by an enlarged heart and quite possibly the cocaine, crystal meth and seven prescription drugs found in his system.
Wu-tang Clan rapper Ol’ Dirty Bastard died in November from an overdose of cocaine and the prescription painkiller Tramadol. The medical examiner’s office ruled the rapper’s death an accident.
3) “Jacko” on trialMichael Jackson was indicted in April for multiple counts of child molestation after being arrested in Nov. 2003 over allegations that he molested a boy who was a regular guest at Neverland. Accusers surfaced all year. Fans rallied around him, protesting at every hearing. In late January of this year, the trial continues. 2) Janet Jackson shows some skinThe Jackson family took some rough hits in 2004. Michael was exposed, but so was Janet’s breast. The unfortunate Super Bowl half-time show accident was seen by millions of viewers and caused FCC commotion that the media still is feeling a year later.
1) Britney does Vegas, weds a dancer and goes barefootIt was quite a year for Mrs. Federline. First she goes crazy in Las Vegas, marrying a high school friend on a whim. Then, after calling the wedding a mistake, she begins a fast romance with Kevin Federline, a backup dancer. Months later, she proposes to him, cancels her tour because of “injuries” and marries Federline. Next thing you know, multiple pictures surface of her walking barefoot in public restrooms. Let’s hope the baby she’s likely to have in 2005 has better hygiene than this pop princess turned wife.