Memorial service, crowdsourcing organized for car crash victims

Photos from Facebook

Clockwise from top left: As of Sunday evening, Rene Contreras is in fair condition, Tyra Preston is in stable condition and Corinthia Williams and Alexis Emmou were pronounced dead at the scene.

A memorial service will be held Wednesday night for two students who died in a car crash.

In addition to the memorial, two GoFundMe pages have been mobilized to offset the costs of the funerals for senior Alexis Emmou and junior Corinthia “Nikki” Williams.

Two other students injured in the crash, including Rene Contreras, a passenger, who was initially in critical condition but was upgraded to “fair” condition as of Monday morning. Tyra Preston, another passenger, was also treated for injuries.

University studies senior Tiffany Sonnier said the memorial will feature two signed frames with pictures of the girls in them, as well as a journal full of messages for their parents.

“We also got two frames for both of them, Alexis and Nikki, and we’ve gotten a lot of people to write on the frames because you can write on them and their pictures will be in it,” Sonnier said. “And also a journal that we will give to the parents as a gift and we’re encouraging people to write words of encouragement, things that they’ll remember each of the girls by for the parents to see the affect they had on a lot of people here at A&M.”

Sports management junior D’Juan Johnson said the memorial will be about standing together in support during this challenging time.

“We’re going to have a lantern release, we’re going to try to get someone in a leadership position to lead us in prayer and different things for Nikki and Alexis E.,” Johnson said. “And we’ll also be thinking about the survivors and make sure they are healed, get their bodies healed as well as their minds and just everyone supporting each other, standing by each other at this critical, tragic time.”

Johnson created Williams’ GoFundMe page, which raised $2,560 of its $5,000 goal as of Monday evening.
“I started it because I wasn’t sure if Nikki’s family was financially able to compensate her with a good funeral that is memorable and different,” Johnson said. “I thought she should be honored to the best of our ability.”

Jaqour Blunt created a page for senior Alexis Emmou, which has raised $4,865, well beyond its stated $3,000 goal.
The memorial will be 7:30 p.m. Wednesday on Simpson Drill Field, weather permitting.