Michael J. Benedik named A&M’s vice provost

Provost and Executive Vice President Karan Watson announced the naming of Michael J. Benedik as A&M’s vice provost, effective July 1, according to a TAMU press release.

Benedik currently serves as dean of faculties and associate provost and professor of biology and genetics, according to the release.

The release states that the position was formerly held by Pamela R. Matthews, who was recently selected as dean of the College of Liberal Arts after serving as interim dean since July 2014.

Benedik earned a B.A. degree at the University of Chicago and a Ph.D. in biology at Stanford University. After his graduate studies, Benedik worked in the biotechnology industry in California and joined the A&M faculty in 1984. In 1989 he moved to the University of Houston, and returned to A&M in 2004 as a professor in the Department of Biology and the Faculty of Genetics, according to the release.

In the press release, Watson said Benedik’s position will have an emphasis on multi-college interdisciplinary curricular programs and academic strategic initiatives.
“Additionally, he will serve as a facilitator of the University Grand Challenges initiative and serve as an advisor to me and the president,” Watson said in the release.