Middle East roundtable to hit wide-spanning regional topics

Conflict in the Middle East continues to evolve, creating new ideas and events to discuss at Texas A&M.
The Scowcroft Institute at the Bush School of Government and Public Service, along with the MSC Wiley Lecture Series, are hosting a roundtable discussion Wednesday evening titled, “The Continuing Crisis in the Middle East.”
Erin Snider, assistant professor in international affairs at the Bush School, will be one of the speakers at the event. In her own studies, Snider researches politics in the Middle East in general but also focuses her work in Egypt.
“While I’m not sure about the specifics of questions to be asked, that will be at the discretion of Andrew Natsios, the director, I believe all of the panelists will be speaking on wide-ranging issues including the ongoing crisis in Syria and Iraq, Iran, Egypt under President Sisi and political transitions in the Middle East,” Snider said.
Snider said it would be difficult for a person to summarize all of the conflicts in the Middle East.
“The one that is presently the focus of much media attention is the ascension of ISIS in Syria and Iraq,” Snider said. “The situation in Gaza remains very tense following this past summer’s war between Israel and Gaza. Iran is of course still engaged in discussions about the future of its nuclear program. There is instability in Yemen and Libya. After the 2011 uprisings in the Middle East, there is great uncertainty about the trajectory of political transitions in the region.”
Snider said students who attend the event have the opportunity to listen to people who are more aware of the ins and outs of the Middle East conflict.
“Students would have an opportunity to hear scholars with extensive expertise and insight on civil conflict, WMD and the domestic and international politics of the Middle East,” Snider said.
The roundtable is a free event, although those wishing to attend need to RSVP on the Bush School’s website. The event will take place at 5:30 p.m. in the Bush Presidential Orientation Theater.