Neil Jhurani, Sports Writer • May 23, 2024

A warm, summer evening bestowed Hoover, Alabama on Wednesday night when the No. 4 Texas A&M Aggies faced the No. 15 Mississippi State Bulldogs...

MSC celebrates 64 years since its dedication

Shelby Knowles
Happy Birthday, MSC.

The Texas A&M University Center will hold a celebration carnival for the MSC’s 64th birthday Friday afternoon as a way to commemorate “the campus living room.”

Amber Hopkins, UCEN and Department of Student Affairs communication coordinator, said the celebration includes a wide variety of activities including door prizes and live music.

“Attendees will also have the opportunity to win prizes at our games tables and can be entered in a grand prize drawing by visiting our vendor booths,” Hopkins said. “It’s definitely a celebration and we want to encourage the campus community to come out and celebrate with us.”

Although the MSC was originally dedicated in 1951, its rededication in 2012 marked the beginning of the annual celebration.

First-time volunteer for the carnival and marketing senior Abigail Cook said she looks forward to working at the celebration. 

“I volunteered to work the event because I love being a part of Aggies coming together to celebrate such a significant part of our campus,” Cook said.

Carlin Rhea, marketing senior, worked at last year’s event, and helped plan this year’s celebration. Rhea said the birthday celebration illustrates the MSC’s support for the student body.

“I think it’s not only important to celebrate the history and tradition of the MSC but also for students to celebrate themselves,” Rhea said. “This event is one of the biggest ways that the MSC will give back to students through fun prizes, games and free food.”

Rhea said the carnival will include a photo booth and Reveille VIII will likely make an appearance.

Judy Marrs, University Center associate director, said the event allows vendors, staff and students to revel in a piece A&M history.

“The rich history of the facility and all that it represents is worthy of celebrating and is a fun way to bring the Aggie family together each year,” Marrs said. “Last year we hosted over 1,500 guests at the event and we look forward to greeting many more for the 2015 MSC birthday celebration.”

The event will be from 11:30 a.m. to 2 p.m. Friday in Rudder Plaza.