MSC Howdy Hour introduces students to campus organizations

Photo by Cassie Stricker

Howdy Hour offers students free refreshments and a chance to learn what groups and resources are available for them on campus.

Looking to foster relationships between students and campus organizations, MSC Hospitality presented its first Howdy Hour event on Thursday Feb. 23.

Howdy Hour is a program which features a different host organization selected by MSC Hospitality each month and provides an interactive way for students to access resources on campus, such as the study abroad office, student counseling services and the academic success center on campus. The host organization featured for the month talks to students about the resources they offer, while students enjoy free refreshments. MSC Hospitality led this week’s Howdy Hour which informed students of the purpose of the new program and also featured the Texas A&M Yell Leaders.

MSC Hospitality is the official host committee of the Memorial Student Center and provides a variety of programs, such as campus and MSC tours, according to Special Events Coordinator and nuclear engineering senior Justin Pilson.

“We put on programs to cultivate a community feeling in the Memorial Student Center,” Pilson said. “I’m a senior and I still have friends that say they haven’t been to the MSC a lot, so programs like the Howdy Hour  help bring students into the MSC. It’s such a special place.”

Business honors sophomore Catherine Pellerin is currently the executive director for MSC Hosting within MSC Hospitality and is excited about this new program.

“The Howdy Hour fits in with the service that the MSC and the campus strives to accomplish,” Pellerin said. “It’s a good way for students to get connected with the resources we have here on campus. The turnout we had today was amazing.”

Senior Yell Leader Chris Wilder was in attendance at Howdy Hour and looks forward to seeing the program evolve.

“I think this a great idea and a great way to make resources available,” Wilder said. “The MSC is a great place  to do this because so many people come in and out of here all the time. I’m happy to be a part of the kick off and hopefully it continues to grow month after month.”

Biomedical Science sophomore Sheena Cherukara said she looks forward to more Howdy Hours throughout the semester.

“A lot of people don’t really get to come to the MSC or know what they have to offer,” Cherukara said. “Personally, we didn’t know a lot of the resources they had here. Many members from MSC hospitality stopped and talked with us so that was cool.”

Biomedical Science Junior Zahra Sadruddin attended the first Howdy Hour and said she thoroughly enjoyed the new program.

“We loved it! It was really needed, especially with it being exam week.” Sadruddin said. “It’s for the students and there’s free food, so it’s a good way for students to socialize.”