Texas A&Ms attendance for the Alabama game was at 108,101 fans ranking it at the third largest game in Kyle Field history.(Ishika Samant/The Battalion)
‘The Mexican 12th Man’

Growing up in the hills of Monterrey, Mexico, Pedro and Carlos Luna were surrounded by soccer.  Clad in the gold and blue of Tigres UANL,...

MSC Open House introduces new and old organizations

MSC Spring Open House, held Sunday in the Student Recreation Center, was an opportunity for many student organizations to meet in order to recruit new members.
One of those organizations is the Freudian Slip Improv. Comedy Club.
The Freudian Slip Comedy Club is the “only source for improv. comedy at A&M,” said Logan Allender, who was at the organization’s MSC Open House booth. “Everything is completely made up based on audience suggestions.”
The organization is recruiting new members through a student audition at 8 p.m. Monday in room 167 of the Read Building. The audition is open to any student, regardless of their theatrical background.
“There are no official audition requirements,” Allender said. “You only need a willingness to put yourself out there and try new things, silly things, that make people laugh.”
The organization provides students the opportunity to gain real world experience in live comedy.
“It’s helped me to be more confident,” said Rachel Gilmour, senior theatre arts major and member of the Freudian Slip Comedy Club. “It’s completely different from theatrical performances, and forces you to think on your feet. Nothing compares to it.”
The Freudian Slip Comedy Club puts on monthly performances at the Rudder Forum.
Another lesser-known organization is SIGGRAPH, the student organization for graphic design and digital animation.
“SIGGRAPH is an organization that focuses on digital graphics and computer animation,” said Thomas Roach, senior visualization studies major. “We incorporate computer graphics with 3-D images to make virtual environments.”
The organization acts as both a teaching tool and a community for students who are interested in computer animation. It has various workshops in which students can learn about 2-D animation, 3-D animation and graphic design.
“If you are interested in computer graphics, then we are interested in you,” said Cameron Coker, senior visualization major. “We have workshops and classes specifically designed for people who are new to the technology.”
The SIGGRAPH organization also has bi-weekly nightlife events, where students can meet others who share an interest in computer animation. The organization places an emphasis on student interaction.
These are just two of the student organizations at Texas A&M. With such a wide range of organizations, Texas A&M has a student group for every interest.